Peter Quillin to fight on Hopkins-Dawson undercard on October 15th
By Jason Kim: Unbeaten middleweight contender Peter Quillin (25-0, 19 KO’s) will be reportedly fighting on the undercard of the WBC light heavyweight fight between champion Bernard Hopkins and challenger Chad Dawson on October 15th at the Staples center in Los Angeles, California.
Quillin, ranked #7 by the World Boxing Association, doesn’t have an opponent picked out yet but hopefully it’s a notable fighter. That’s what the 28-year-old Quillin needs right now to get him more notoriety. His trainer Freddie Roach has been talking about wanting to match Quillin against Sergio Martinez but the problem is Quillin doesn’t have enough of a name for Martinez to bother with him. Quillin’s management needs to put him in with higher class opponents.
He’s faced Jessie Brinkley and Jason LeHoullier in his last two fights, easily beating both. However, there are much better fighters than these guys and it’s high time Quillin start facing them. He’s getting up there in age and it would be sad if he continues to face lower level guys each time while at the same time wanting a quality guy like Martinez to fight him.
Roach needs to help Quillin out here by getting him with good opponents instead of the soft variety. It’s questionable how long Quillin can make the 160 pound middleweight limit. He recently moved down in weight form super middleweight despite being a huge super middleweight.
It’s obvious that Roach didn’t like the idea of putting Quillin in with the highly skilled guys like Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler, Lucian Bute and Carl Froch. Quillin would likely have a hard time ever beating any of them. But at middleweight, he has a chance to make a name for himself because of how weak the division is. Quillin’s problem is he’s so huge that he could have a hard time making weight for this division without continually draining himself.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Joe Calzaghe top five most impressive wins
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback