Montiel wants rematch with Donaire
By Chris Williams: Fernando Montiel (46-3-2, 36 KO’s) defeated Alvaro Perez (21-4-1, 12 KO’s) by a third round KO on Saturday night at the La Cetto Vineyard, in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. It was a good win but a weak opponent for the 32-year-old Montiel.
However, instead of saying he wants to slowly his way back to the top, Montiel immediately called out Nonito Donaire afterwards, saying he wants to go after a 4th world title in a rematch against Donaire. Montiel was destroyed by Donaire last February in a 2nd round knockout. I don’t think too many boxing fans want to see Montiel and Donaire mixing it up again any time soon, especially with Montiel’s two wins since then over little known fighters.
If Montiel wants a rematch with Donaire, he’s going to have to go about it in a more convincing way by at least taking on some top five opposition or perhaps the WBA bantamweight champion Anselmo Moreno. Without any credible wins to back him up, Montiel is kind of wasting his time by calling out Donaire. He wasn’t just beaten by Donaire last February, he was totally destroyed in a one-sided fight.
Montiel was never evens lightly competitive in the two rounds of action. He just looked too short, weak and slow to do much against Donaire. I can see maybe Donaire’s promoters making the Donaire-Montiel rematch for the money it could potentially generate but I think it’s a bad product to serve up to boxing fans. It’ll be another mismatch and fans won’t see a good fight. I think Donaire has better things to do than to go backwards with his career to destroy this guy again.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire WBC purse bid won by TGB Promotions
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire purse bid scheduled for Jan.21 at WBC headquarters
- WBC orders Nordine Oubaali to defend 118-lb title against Nonito Donaire
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz