Maidana in superb shape, ready to obliterate Guerrero on August 27th
By Dan Ambrose: Knockout artist Marcos Maidana (30-2, 27 KO’s) is looking in excellent shape for his August 27th bout against challenger Robert Guerrero (29-1-1, 18 KO’s) for a fight that will be taking place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. The Maidana-Guerrero fight is likely going to be a war, as Maidana fights in only way and that’s straight ahead with every punch thrown with knockout intentions.
Guerrero is more of a boxer-puncher, who chooses wisely when to slug and not to slug. Guerrero has been promising that he’s going to get in the ditch with Maidana and slug, but it’s likely that Guerrero will opt for a safety first approach to this fight by boxing instead of mixing it up Maidana.
Guerrero was a good puncher at featherweight and super featherweight, but has lost his power since moving up to the lightweight division. And now Guerrero is moving up yet another division to the light welterweight class. Guerrero won’t be able to make a dent against Maidana, but it will be interesting to see if Guerrero will try. If he fights on the move, he’s going to stink up the joint and not win fans.
Guerrero wants to not only beat Maidana, but also put on an entertaining enough fight where he’ll win fans and create a demand for him to fight guys like Amir Khan and Manny Pacquiao. Unfortunately the only way that Guerrero can accomplish this is by standing in front of Maidana fighting him. That’s where Guerrero may have some problems because he’ll be fighting the bigger, stronger Maidana’s game by choosing to mix it up with him.
Guerrero is roughly the same height at Maidana, but he doesn’t have his brute strength. Guerrero has to really load up on his shots to come close to the power that Maidana has, while Maidana punches with huge power every shot. It’s routine for him to land with big power, because he’s as strong as an ox. Guerrero won’t be able to match his power and will have to make a decision – to box and survive or slug and get destroyed. My guess he’ll stink up the joint by running.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- Marcos Maidana showing off SIX-Pack abs
- Marcos Maidana looking solid in training for comeback
- Mayweather denies having a tooth knocked out by Maidana
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism