Froch alarmed with Ward’s past link with Conte, wants drug testing for 10/29 bout
By William Mackay: Photo: Casino/Showtime – WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch is upset with learning that his October 29th Super Six tournament opponent WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward had reportedly used Victor Conte for nutritional supplements before Ward’s fight against Mikkel Kessler in 2009. Froch reportedly now wants drug testing for the Ward-Froch fight. Will he get it? Probably not.
Speaking with the Dailystar.co.uk, Froch said “I’m not happy about Ward and Conte. There have been stories about American boxers taking steroids, so you do wonder if people are taking things to give them the edge. I will be raising the question with my promoter Eddie Hearn and he will probably do something about it, whether it’s a pre-fight drug test or blood test.”
Conte, the founder and president of Balco, provides drug supplements to different fighters, but in the past he was sent to prison in 2005 for conspiracy to distribute steroids. However, that was in the past and he’s had no problems since then and is highly respected for his nutritional advice.
Will Froch get testing for the Ward fight? It’s unlikely because it costs a lot of money to conduct additional testing and there isn’t any reasons to suspect that Ward has been using them. He doesn’t look any more muscular than he did when he turned pro in 2004, and he’s not put on weight. Physically, he’s the same fighter in appearance than he was back then.
Froch could be looking to get an extra mental edge in the Ward fight by upsetting him with the requests for drug testing. It’ll be interesting to see if this throws Ward off.
More Boxing News:
- Andre Ward doesn’t see Anthony Joshua beating Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- Carl Froch NOT interested in Andre Ward rematch
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Carl Froch fires back at Joe Calzaghe
- Fury expects to fight Joshua x 2 next year, but not overlooking Wilder
- Arum responds to Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury RUMORS
- Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 Preview
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena