Matthysse vs. Kendall Holt a possibility for Hopkins-Dawson undercard
By Dan Ambrose: According to Dan Rafael is ESPN, there is talk of an undercard fight between former WBO light welterweight champion Kendall Holt and Argentinian Lucas Matthysse on the undercard of the WBC light heavyweight title fight between champion Bernard Hopkins and former two time champion Chad Dawson on October 15th.
The fight card could really use the help from a good fight like Holt-Matthysse. It would be a step down for Matthysee, who was beaten by a controversial 12 round split decision last weekend against former IBF/WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander in Alexander’s hometown. For Matthysse, it was the second time in his last three fights where he’s found himself on the losing end of controversial decisions in the United States.
Last year, Matthysse was beaten by Zab Judah while fighting in Judah’s home town. Matthysse should have gotten a clue from that fight and from Alexander’s controversial decision over Andriy Kotelnik that it might not be a good idea to fight Alexander in his own hometown. But for Matthysse to attempt a third try against Holt might not good idea, especially if the fight takes place in Atlantic City, New Jersey, which happens to be Holt’s hometown.
However, it’s unclear how big of a fan base that Holt has even fighting in his own home town. But Matthysse really can’t afford to lose a third fight by a controversial decision, so he might be better off fighting only neutral venues or at home in Argentina instead of taking on one fighter after another and losing controversial decisions in fights that he arguably should have won. Holt is a decent fighter, but he’s only one fight removed from a shellacking against Kaizer Mabuza last year.
I don’t know how Matthysse would feel taking a step back in facing a lower ranked guy instead of continuing to fight top five opposition. He may not have much choice, though, because if he passes on this fight he may have to settle for much less and that’s a real pity. Matthysse would likely be the IBF light welterweight champion right now had he been given the win over Judah last year.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Joe Calzaghe top five most impressive wins
- David Benavidez vs. Roamer Angulo on August 15 on SHOWTIME
- Gervonta Davis batters Ivan Redkach in sparring
- Adrien Broner returning to 140 as the new CASH cow
- Eleider Alvarez vs. Joe Smith Jr rescheduled for August
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai battles Amnat Ruenroeng on August 1 in Thailand