Maidana vs. Guerrero on August 27th in San Jose, CA
By Dan Ambrose: Two time world champion Robert Guerrero (29-1-1, 18 KO’s) has reportedly signed the contract to face WBA light welterweight interim champion Marcos Maidana (30-2, 27 KO’s) on August 27th at the HP Pavilion, in San Jose, CA. Maidana has agreed to the contract and will be signing as well for the fight.
Supposedly, the winner of this fight could wind up as the regular World Boxing Association champion with the winner of the Amir Khan vs. Zab Judah bout on July 23 being pushed to the WBA Super WBA light welterweight champion. Khan is the current WBA champ. It all sounds silly with two champions occupying the same belt, along with somebody else coming along eventually to claim Maidana’s WBA light welterweight interim title.
Maidana will have a hard time beating Guerrero because he’s a lot better boxer than he is and has an excellent chin. Maidana will have a puncher’s chance of winning this fight but not much more than that. Guerrero probably won’t move as much as Khan did in his narrow 12 round decision win over Maidana last year, but he’s going to be a big problem for the Argentinian because of his work rate. It’s a bad match-up for Maidana, but one he can win if he puts pressure on Guerrero the same way that Orlando Salido in beating him in the past.
The way to beat Guerrero is to walk him down and hit him as hard possible with every punch. This is what Salido did in his win over him and Guerrero looked uncomfortable in that fight. However, Salido is faster than Maidana and a better fighter. Maidana is going to have to be in excellent condition to win this fight.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- Marcos Maidana showing off SIX-Pack abs
- Marcos Maidana looking solid in training for comeback
- Mayweather denies having a tooth knocked out by Maidana
- Hearn talks Jermall Charlo vs. Demetrius Andrade
- Jaime Munguia ready to fight Gennady Golovkin in 2021
- Teofimo wants Ryan Garcia, Tank, and Haney to prove themselves worthy to face him
- Tyson Fury’s shortlist: Kabayel and Takam for Dec.5 in London
- Teofimo Lopez not interested in Vasily Lomachenko rematch