Do British fans want Haye to lose to Wladimir?
By John F. McKenna (McJack): Ring Magazine is reporting that Vladimir Klitschko’s manager Bernd Boente is saying that British fans are so fed up with “loud mouth” David Haye, that they want him to be KO’d on Saturday night.
The long anticipated fight between WBA champion David “The Hayemaker” Haye (25-1, 23 KO’s) and IBF, IBO, WBO and Ring Magaziner champion Wladimir “Dr. Steelhammer” Klitschko (55-3, 49 KO’s) at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg, Germany has been marked by a great amount of trash talk. The majority of the trash talk has come from David Haye in an effort to draw interest in the fight and more importantly from Haye’s point of view to unnerve the huge Ukrainian champion. Klitschko has dominated the heavyweight division for the last six years and Haye, through his relentless trash talk has generated great interest in this fight. There is a school of thought which says that David Haye would not have gotten the title shot at “Dr. Steelhammer” without the trash talk.
Boente, who was on London’s talk Sport radio said that many Brits have turned against Haye because of his rude behavior.
“I think England is known all over the world for fair play. Boxing has its roots in England and the same with soccer. And we all know that English fans are distinguished and David Haye is the opposite of that. So I think that’s the reason fans don’t like him,” said Boente.
Boente went on to say that there is no way that Klitschko is going to fight angry and that he is in total control of his emotions. He also dismissed the notion that Vladimir is taking Haye lightly. He also said that once Haye confronts Wladimir in the ring and experiences his power, his demeanor will change.
Boente acknowledged that David Haye will be a tough opponent and that he is fast and is a good puncher.
Is what Klitschko manager Bernd Boente says true? Are British fans turning against “The Hayemaker” because of his rude behavior? Has he crossed the line with the name calling and the profanity that he has used on Wladimir Klitschko? Will the usually dignified Brits continue to support him no matter what?
Obviously David Haye’s strategy is to provoke Wladimir Klitschko at all cost. Haye and Booth seem to care little if they lose some of their British support. Apparently in their eyes the ends justifies the means. On the outside looking in, however the Haye strategy of attempting to rattle Klitschko to the extent that he loses his composure seems to be the act of a desperate man.
More Boxing News:
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora targeted for October
- David Haye Not happy with Joe Joyce’s performance against Michael Wallisch
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz