Brewster: Wladimir will KO Haye if he stays composed
By Eric Thomas: Lamon Brewster, a former conqueror of Wladimir Klitschko, thinks Wladimir can beat WBA heavyweight champion David Haye this Saturday night if Wladimir stays composed and doesn’t try to go for a knockout. Brewster believes that Wladimir’s jab will be the key and sees Haye as being vulnerable because of his weak chin and his tendency to attack.
Brewster thinks Wladimir will catch Haye sooner or later when he’s rushing in and will stop him in the fashion. However, Brewster is giving Haye a good chance of winning if he can pressure Wladimir enough to wear him down the way that Brewster did in 2004 in stopping Wladimir. That was a much different version of Wladimir, though, because Wladimir went for broke in the 4th round trying to knock Brewster out after knocking him to the canvas and only ended up tiring himself out in the process. Wladimir changed his fighting style after that with his then new trainer Emanuel Steward. Wladimir rarely exerts himself nowadays and he doesn’t have problems stamina any longer.
In an interview at eastsideboxing.com, Brewster said “If Wladimir fights a disciplined fight and doesn’t go searching for the knockout, he will catch David coming in and stop him within the distance. Haye has shown that he doesn’t have a great chin, and if Wladimir is patient and is able to use his jab effectively while keeping his distance, Klitschko should win this fight by knockout.”
Brewster has to take an enormous amount of punishment from Wladimir to beat him. In their rematch in July 2007, Brewster found Wladimir a much different fighter using his jab constantly and not taking chances. Brewster, who is roughly the same size as Haye, could never close to Wladimir because of his jab and was beaten into submission in a 6th round stoppage.
The one thing that worries Brewster about the Haye-Klitschko fight is if Wladimir is mentally psyched out by Haye and tries to compensate by slugging with him. Brewster feels this would be a mistake for Wladimir to do and thinks he’ll lose if he tries to trade with Haye.
More Boxing News:
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Chisora: Wladimir Klitschko CAN’T help Usyk inside the ring
- David Haye discusses coming out of retirement for Joshua vs. Fury winner
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback