Top five overrated boxers, from 1999 to 2011
By Marquise Bullock: Today it’s hard to tell who’s overrated and who’s not, because the lack of obvious competition, and promoters saving their fighters for big money fights, but there are illusionist fighters that are very overrated in today’s struggling sport.
1. Miguel Cotto- Is very overrated. He’s like a Puerto Rican Gatti with a little more skill. His defense is sloppy, very, very flat footed, and at best, a grade B fighter. He was very good as a 140 pounder…but at soon as he went up to 147 he became very overrated. People, delusional people actually believe that he would stand a chance against “Pretty Boy” Floyd. And there’s people out there that actually betted against Pacquiao in favor of Cotto. Please. No matter how much pressure Margarito put on him in their bout, Cotto should’ve had the skills in the final rounds to drive towards a victory. In my opinion he got lucky against Shane Mosley, who comes up next on my list.
2. “Sugar” Shane Mosley- I hate to say it, because he’s one of my favorites, but the “Sugar Man” is overrated, I’m sorry. The one thing he does have that gave him a HOF career, was experience coming in to the sport. He lost most of his biggest fights, and possibly cheated TWICE against Oscar De La Hoya. He lost to an very overrated Cotto, whom he had no business losing to. Skill wise he way better than Cotto, but losing to him is completely unacceptable. And he never was able to beat pure boxers, and almost lost to an old Ricardo Mayorga because of that flaw. Thank God for K.O. power.
3. “The Golden Boy” Oscar De La Hoya- Ok this guy lost ALL of his big fights, and beat washed up legends. Not to mention he got a gift wrapped decision against Pernell Whitaker. Yes, yes he had all the heart in the world to fight most boxers of his era, but he’s very overrated. He’s 3-7 in fights that matter. That says overrated to me.
4. Paul “The Punisher” Williams- He’s the most overrated guy on this list. He doesn’t have any skill at all. Hey get a load of this, during Williams-Martinez 2, the commentators were talking about how good Williams was doing (even though he was clearly losing) blah, blah.,.. blah, blah, BOOM! The knockout came and they, the commentators didn’t show any excitement, hell, they even sounded upset. They wasn’t satisfied at all. As a matter a fact they were ready to hand the victory to Williams, on a silver platter. Even Cintron was going to lay this chump out if he would’ve never got scared and jumped out of the ring.
5. Joe Calzaghe- Who has this guy fought? Besides and overrated Jeff Lacey, who’s so overrated he should write a book on it…But anyway, Calzaghe never fought fighters in the prime besides Mikkell Kessler.
So that’s my list. Lucian Bute is overrated too, but I think boxing fans know that already. How would your list look. Remember these are just opinions.
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto