Timothy Bradley: I felt like a man fighting a boy
By Chris Williams: WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (27-0, 11 KO’s) defeated WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander (21-1, 13 KO’s) by a disappointing 10 round technical decision win last Saturday night at the Silverdome, in Pontiac, Michigan. Alexander, 23, who came into the fight with a lot of hype behind, looked unwilling to mix it up and seemed to be stuck in the defensive mode the entire fight.
Bradley took the fight to Alexander throughout, but often connected with his head in addition to his punches. The fight was stopped after a hard clash of heads in the 10th that sent Alexander reeling in pain. The judges scored it 98-93, 96-95 and 97-93. It really wasn’t that close of a fight.
Bradley had this to say to the Grand Rapids Press: “I felt like a man in there. I felt like I was fighting a boy. I’m just being honest. He was trying to fight a good fight but he didn’t have nothing to hurt me. That’s why I was able to just walk forward and just keep coming.”
Indeed, Bradley constantly walked forward the entire night, staying low, ducking shots from Alexander and throwing constant punches to the head and body. Unfortunately, Bradley often ended up colliding with Alexander in rough clinches and there was a lot of wrestling, holding and punching in close. Bradley seemed to smother his own power, as well as Alexander’s. Neither fighter showed much power or speed. Alexander seemed to throw the harder punches, but he failed to throw enough of them because he was often leaning back and trying to avoid incoming from Bradley.
With the win, Bradley has a number of options available to him, such as Marcos Maidana, Amir Khan, Victor Ortiz, Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and a rematch with Alexander. The rematch with Alexander may have to wait awhile, but it will surely happen. The Khan fight will happen later on in 2011, perhaps September or a little earlier.
More Boxing News:
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- ‘Keith Thurman needs to get his mind right’ – Tim Bradley
- Tim Bradley prediction: Deontay Wilder STOPS Tyson Fury
- Danny Garcia calls Tim Bradley a “Top Rank puppet”
- Tim Bradley: Crawford is BEGGING the PBC fighters to face him
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020