Did Cotto duck Martirosyan to fight Mayorga?
By Chris Williams: You have to wonder why WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (35-2, 28 Ko’s) opted to face 37-year-old Richard Mayorga (29-7-1, 23 KO’s) on March 12th next year rather than unbeaten number #5 ranked World Boxing Association contender Vanes Martirosyan (28-0, 17 KO’s). If I didn’t know better, I’d swear it looks like Cotto is ducking Martirosyan for what appears to be the much easier fight with the old shopworn Mayorga. Now why else would Cotto fight an old guy like Mayorga rather than someone that promises and exciting fight and who would have a great chance of beating him like Martirosyan.
Is Cotto afraid of Martirosyan? I don’t know but you have to wonder. Martirosyan, 6’0″, is a lot taller than the 5’7″ Cotto, and is also a lot younger at 24-years-old compared to the 30-year-old Cotto. Martirosyan also doesn’t have all the ring miles on him like Cotto. He hasn’t been through all the wars that Cotto has suffered in fights against hard punchers like Manny Pacquiao, Joshua Clottey, Antonio Margarito, Shane Mosley, Zab Judah, DeMarcus Corley, Randall Bailey and Ricardo Torres.
In each one of those fights, Cotto was beaten up and hurt in most of them. Those are all big punchers of different strengths, and Cotto took a lot of shots to the head in each one of them. Martirosyan, on the other hand, has mostly had easy fights during his short five year pro career. The closest thing that would come to Martirosyan having a hard fight was his 10 round decision over Kassim Ouma this year, but that was hardly a tough fight.
I don’t know what to think of Cotto facing Mayorga instead of Martirosyan. It seems pretty obvious that Martirosyan is the better fighter compared to Mayorga, who isn’t even ranked in the top 15. Cotto is facing a 2nd tier junior middleweight in Mayorga. If that’s not cherry picking I don’t what is.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- ICB Signs Vanes Martirosyan; Contender To Make Cage Boxing Debut In 2019
- Martirosyan picks Golovkin to KO Canelo Alvarez
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Jeison Rosario message after knockout loss to Jermell Charlo