Do Pacquiao’s fans follow boxing or just Pacquiao?
By Dave Lahr: One thing that I’ve kind of noticed about some of Manny Pacquiao’s fans is that they seem to know a lot about Pacquiao, but not all that much about boxing or what’s going on with the match-making that’s done for Pacquiao from fight to fight.
Some of them don’t seem to have a clue about who’s good or not good. They just seem glad to see Pacquiao fight no matter what. This makes me think that a lot of Pacquiao’s fans are what you would call casual boxing fans, because they follow only one guy rather than the sport itself.
I know there’s some real knowledgeable Pacquiao fans among the legions that follow him, but it seems to be that the ones that I see flapping their gums all the time don’t have much knowledge about the kinds of guys that he’s being matched against. A lot of these guys are convinced Mosley is great opponent. If you try to talk to them, it’s like talking to a brick wall. You just can’t make any headway no matter what arguments you make. A lot of them actually think Mosley is a great opponent. Boxing is really complex and there’s a lot to it. If you’re mainly focused on just one fighter and you tend to tune out others, then you end up knowing very little about the sport and about what’s going on in terms of match-making.
If you have fans that only follow one boxer and exclude all others, it has the effect of leaving them in the dark pretty much about the sport. I’d say that puts them in the casual fan category, because once Pacquiao is gone, I suspect they’ll likely be gone along with him.
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz