Klitschko stops Peter!
The bout was basically a mismatch; with the champ in control all of the way. In the end Peter’s eyes were heavily swollen, and is now 0-3 against the brothers from Ukraine. The score here was 90-81. Klitschko, 246 is now 55-3 (49), while Peter, 241 drops to 34-4 (27).
Who is up next this year for Wladimir, 34? Possibly Adamek or Valuev. They are the only possible choices unless he wants to wait until next year for Haye or Povetkin who have bouts already lined up for this fall.
As for Peter, 30, it’s back in line with the slew of other contenders. Maybe a matchup with Haye or Holyfield sometime next spring? Could be possible. Especially if Haye keeps dodging the Klitschkos.
Report of the Bout
WK comes out jabbing, pawing with it as SP was ineffective. WK landed a nice right late in the round: Score 10-9 WK.
SP comes out more aggressive, WK nice jab right combo, another big right stuns SP. Another right again, WK in the flow now. Great round for WK as he worked off the jab-right combo. Score 20-18.
SP can’t get close to the champ. WK lands a nice combo as he’s finding his range. This is more of the same. Score: 30-27.
Bout is reminiscent of Vitali-Peter from 2008. Dominance. WK lands a nice overhand right, and is busier though out this round. Score: 40-36.
WK blocks SP’s left with his right effectively and then continues to control the action for the remainder of the round. Score: 50-45.
SP lands a nice body shot early. WK continues with his plan. Score: 60-54.
Pace starts out much quicker this round. WK lands nice 1-2 combo. SP’s right eye is swelling to the point of hindrance. A good round for WK. It’s just a matter of time now before this is over. Score: 70-63.
Peter looks done. Another round for WK. Score: 80-72.
WK continues on with some nice short punches to control the action. Score: 90-81.
Klitschko starts with a nice combo. Follows with a good left. Then a big left, then right. Multiple combinations of hooks and uppercuts. Peter is down. And out. Fight is over as referee Robert Byrd stops it at 1:22.
Stats: This was Klitschko’s 9th defense of his IBF title dating back to 2006. He also held the WBO title from 2000-2003, making 5 defenses. Sam Peter was briefly WBC champion in 2008 before losing his title to brother Vitali.
More Boxing News:
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Chisora: Wladimir Klitschko CAN’T help Usyk inside the ring
- Banks recalls Wladimir Klitschko letting Anthony Joshua off the hook
- Arum doubts Wilder’s manager Shelly Finkel read contract for Fury trilogy
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Chisora: Oleksandr Usyk will get Fright of his life on October 31st
- Mayweather diminishes Lomachenko’s credentials following loss to Teofimo
- Haye says Whyte in denial about his knockout loss