Khan says he’ll “knock Maidana out,” but he’s “Valuing himself out”
By William Mackay: WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (23-1, 17 KO’s) continued with his mantra that World Boxing Association light welterweight interim champion Marcos Maidana (29-1, 27 KO’s) is asking for too much money for their December 11th fight, saying on his twitter page “You think I’m scared of Maidana? Madonna is the biggest bull sh*****. He knows I’d fight him anywhere but he is valuing himself out. Is that because he is scared? Look, the fight will happen, I hope, for the fans across the world. I won’t let you down. I promise you when I fight Madonna, I will knock him out.”
There it is again – “He is valuing himself out.” I wonder if Khan is trying to get out of this fight? I don’t see how he can. With the fight going to purse bids, the only way that Khan can avoid fighting Maidana now is for him to vacate his WBA title. Maidana just wants to make the fight happen, since he’s been awaiting so long already for the chance. He also wants to get a decent split.
Maidana has fought on cable in the United States at least three times that I’m aware of and he’s been exciting in each one of his fights. Khan, in contrast, has fought once in the United States, and that was when he took on light puncher Pauli Malignaggi last May. That fight wasn’t even remotely interesting or competitive because Malignaggi had no power to trouble Khan with. Maidana’s fights all have been absolute wars and have been incredibly exciting to watch.
I think Maidana is the more popular fighter compared to Khan in the U.S. right now. And for that reason, I think Maidana deserves at least 45-55 split. I won’t say that he deserves to make as much as Khan, because he’s not the champion but I think he deserves to be paid about as much. It takes two fighters to make the fight happen and when you have an exciting fighter like Maidana, you have to pay him for his skills and for the fans that he’ll be bringing to the fight.
This is a can’t miss fight if Khan doesn’t vacate his WBA crown. I hope he doesn’t, because he’s going to run into Maidana at some point in his career and will have to face the music eventually. Maidana has been waiting for an entire year trying to get a shot at Khan, and he’s tired of waiting.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Oleksandr Usyk: “Dereck Chisora, I’m coming for you”
- Terence Crawford vs. Kell Brook close to being finalized for Nov. 14th
- Thurman still mentally struggling from his loss to Pacquiao
- Pedraza vs. Molina & Efe Ajagba vs. Jonnie Rice -official weights
- Erickson Lubin 153 3/4 vs. Terrell Gausha 153 – Weigh-in results