Why doesn’t Mayweather fight Cotto?
By Edward Davis: Let’s admit it, boxing fans, especially the diehard Floyd Mayweather fans; when was the last time you have seen Floyd in a fight with an outstanding boxer that is still in their prime? Don’t say Ricky Hatton because I’d have to laugh at that. My point being I truly believe Mayweather is too good for his last 5 or so fights.
Nevertheless, we’ve had the chance to see Manny Pacquiao fight opponents that Mayweather fought before him. Mayweather put on a brilliant fight versus Oscar De La Hoya in a decision win but Manny’s performance against De La Hoya was priceless, as the Filipino slugger made De La Hoya and his corner give up after being beaten really badly. We saw Mayweather knock out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round in 2007, while Hatton didn’t last a full six minutes versus Pacquiao and laid motionless in the middle of the ring afterwards.
And Oh, by the way, we haven’t seen Hatton in the ring since that night. You might want to compare Mayweather’s bout against Juan Manuel Marquez to Pacquiao’s bouts versus Marquez but take into consideration Marquez didn’t have to gain 20 pounds to fight Pacquiao. Side note: I will forever question Mayweather for the Marquez fight; There were so many better boxers in the welterweight division that he could have fought.
Anyway, my point is last time we saw Miguel Cotto it was in a one-sided bout against Yuri Foreman and Cotto looked great. But before that fight, Cotto was in the ring with Pacquiao and Manny’s speed and power proved to be the advantage of that fight. Pacquiao’s offensive aggression was just too much for Cotto. Since it is clear Mayweather is not going to fight Pacquiao right now, how about if he fights Miguel Cotto.
I believe that should truly be his next fight, if not a fight against Pacquiao. We saw a few years back Cotto beat the very same Shane Mosley that Mayweather just beat. Boxing fans all over do not want to see Mayweather fight another seasoned out of prime fighter. If not Pacquiao, at least Mayweather needs to take on Cotto. How about it?
More Boxing News:
- Floyd Mayweather Jr upset at Sugar Ray Leonard ranked #1 at 147
- Floyd Mayweather to fight a couple exhibitions overseas
- Shakur Stevenson: The next Adrien BRONER or Mayweather?
- Floyd Mayweather reacts to Conor McGregor retiring: ‘I’m waiting to punish you again’
- Ryan Garcia: Gervonta SHOULD take it personally – Mayweather training Haney
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback