Lopez to leave Gamboa with Caballero while he looks to fight Bernabe Concepcion – News
By Peter Wells: According to some reports there have been talks started with Celestino Caballero to move up to Featherweight to fight WBA champion Yuriorkis Gamboa. This is still a massive fight, but Juan Manuel Lopez who believes he is better than Caballero has opted for an easier opponent. I’m not keen on fighters that talk trash then run off and fight someone else, Lopez has displayed his boring side of fighting in his last fight with Steven Luevano, but it was Luevano who ruined the fight and dragged Juanma into a boring non-action fight.
Lopez is looking likely to fight Bernabe Concepcion, another challenger who really stands little chance, while the less experienced professional Gamboa has took the hard option and is in talks with Celestino Caballero.
Lopez could do with fighting Gamboa because Yuri is leaving Lopez behind at the moment, everything Lopez does, Gamboa does better. Juanma took all 12 rounds to beat Roger Mtagwa and looked extremely vulnerable near the end, while just 3 weeks ago Gamboa destroyed Mtagwa in just 2 rounds to steal the show and made the Lopez-Luevano fight look even worse. Now while Lopez is opting for the easy option, Gamboa is taking a risk in fighting a much more dangerous fighter.
What makes it worse for Lopez is that the two fights will be on the same show again, but this time Gamboa will be the main attraction and against Caballero it’s bound to be exciting. Lopez will need to find one of those super knockouts he’s been lacking just lately after all those early first round stoppages. Gamboa is really just protecting his territory but the real top dog in the division is Chris John, and the Gamboa-Lopez winner will get there shot straight away.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis to his HATERS: ‘Thanks for the support’
- Yuriorkis Gamboa suffered complete tear of Achilles against Gervonta Davis, will need surgery
- Yuriorkis Gamboa won’t need surgery to repair his injured Achilles
- Gervonta Davis and Terence Crawford trade TRASH talk
- Yuriorkis Gamboa confirms he tore achilles tendon in 2nd round against Gervonta Davis
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S