Donaire-Guerrero fight off after failed eye exam for Guerrero
By Sean McDaniel: Nonito Donaire (22-1, 14 KO’s) needs another opponent for this Saturday’s bout at the Las Vegas Hilton, in Las Vegas, Nevada. His opponent Gerson Guerrero (34-8, 26 KO’s) failed the medical exam for the fight after a detached retina turned up during the eye exam earlier Wednesday. Donaire-Guerrero was supposed to be the main event of the pay-per-view Latin Fury 13/Pinoy Power 3 card.
However, now Donaire will need a replacement opponent. The most likely opponent to step in to replace Guerrero will be Manuel Vargas (26-4, 11 KO”s). That will be interesting replacement, given that Vargas isn’t even ranked in the top 15 in the super flyweight division. On the line for Saturday’s fight will be Donaire’s World Boxing Association super flyweight interim title.
If Donaire can win Saturday’s fight, against whoever ends up as his opponent, it could put Donaire in position for a rematch against Vic Darchinyan for later on this year. Donaire, 27, previously stopped Darchinyan in the 5th round three years ago in July 2007. Darchinyan has been slow in pursuing a rematch with Donaire, but as of late he’s been talking about wanting to fight Donaire finally.
Hopefully, they can make this fight happen because it’s one of the best that can be made in the super flyweight division. Donaire captured the IBF flyweight title with his win over Darchinyan three years ago, and has defended the title successfully three times since then, beating Luis Maldonado, Moruti Mthalane and Raul Martinez.
In Donaire’s last fight, he struggled badly to defeat Rafael Concepcion by a 12 round decision. Donaire took a lot of head shots in that fight, and was punished badly by Concepcion down the stretch run of the fight. Concepcion came into the fight four pounds over the super flyweight limit. He was bigger and stronger than Donaire, and ended up battering Donaire throughout the 12 round fight.
Donaire ended up winning, but it wasn’t a good performance at all for him. His punches had no effect on Concepcion, who was never bothered in the least by Donaire’s best shots. Donaire seemed bothered by Concepcion’s’ power shots.
The remaining fights on the Latin Fury 13 card remain the same with Fernando Montiel v s. Ciso Morales (WBO bantamweight title), Mario Santiago vs. Bernabe Concepcion, Eric Morel vs. Gerry Penalosa (WBO bantamweight title eliminator). The card has got some good fights. Unfortunately, the main event will be much less interesting with Guerrero unable to fight Donaire. Vargas is a decent fighter, but he’s not going to be able to stand up to Donaire’s shots without being taken out. They might want to look for someone better for Donaire to fight to make sure the card doesn’t end up doing poorly on pay-per-view.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire WBC purse bid won by TGB Promotions
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire purse bid scheduled for Jan.21 at WBC headquarters
- WBC orders Nordine Oubaali to defend 118-lb title against Nonito Donaire
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S