Green working hard to make Hopkins fight
By Jason Kim: International Boxing Organization cruiserweight champion Danny Green (28-3, 25 KO’s) reportedly agreed to take a smaller purse to make a fight with 44-year-old Bernard Hopkins (50-5-1, 32 KO’s), according to Fight News. Green, 36, says that he originally had an agreement from Hopkins for a 50-50 split of the purse. However, Hopkins later on asked for more, requesting a 60-40 split.
Green was immediately resistant to this lower split, because he thought the issue was already settled after his first meeting with Hopkins. However, Green has since agreed to take a smaller purse than Hopkins if it means that he can make the fight happen. Green says he feels like he has a good chance of making the fight happen with Hopkins.
Its unknown what the exact percentage that Green is willing to take to fight Hopkins. Green says he’s less concerned with the money, and more so with trying to establish his legacy. Green destroyed Roy Jones Jr. in a 1st round knockout on December 2nd, ruining Jones’ big money fight against Hopkins which was supposed to take place in March 2010.
Green jumped all over Jones at the start of the bell, and quickly dropped him with a right to the head. After Jones got up, Green pounded him without stop until referee Howard John Foster stepped in and stopped the bout at 2:02 of the 1st. Jones said later that he had recovered from the knockdown and felt that the fight should have been allowed to continue.
However, Jones wasn’t offering up any resistance at the time of the stoppage and had taken unceasing punishment for 30 seconds without throwing anything back at Green. Hopkins, 44, who will be turning 45 on January 15th, recently defeated an over-matched middleweight contender Enrique Ornelas by a 12 round decision on December 2nd.
It wasn’t Hopkins at his best, as he looked slower than he had been in his last fight, a one-sided 12 round decision win over Kelly Pavlik in October 2008. Like Shane Mosley, Hopkins lost a year of his career wasting time trying to find a big-named opponent to fight. Instead of getting a popular opponent for a big money fight, Hopkins had to settle for a bout against Ornelas.
Green presents a problem for Hopkins because of his size, power and pressure style of attack. Green is a lot bigger than Pavlik, and has the power and the kind of smothering attack that can give Hopkins problems.
HBO is interested in televising the Green-Hopkins fight, which is one more reason for the two fighters to try and make this fight happen.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins predicts Joshua KOs Fury late
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz