Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Eggington offered Danny Garcia fight

garcia55

By Dan Ambrose: Former British and Commonwealth 147lb champion Sam Eggington (18-3, 10 KOs) was recently offered a fight against unbeaten WBC welterweight champion Danny Garcia (32-0, 18 KOs), but the match couldn’t get made due to the money not being right for the 22-year-old Eggington. Garcia’s manager Al Haymon was said to have contacted Eggington’s promoter Eddie Hearn about making the fight shortly after Eggington had been beaten by Bradley Skeete.

Why Garcia’s management would want to match him against Eggington is the big question, because you could argue that this would be a COMPLETE mismatch. It would be similar to how Danny Garcia was matched against lightweight Rod Salka in 2014 and the past his best Paulie Malignaggi in 2015. It would have been a real mismatch for Garcia to be fighting a guy like Eggington.

“Al Haymon rang me asking for welters,” said Hearn via britishboxers.co.uk. “Sam Eggington was offered Danny Garcia fight, but the money wasn’t right. Sam wanted it, though.” Read the rest of this entry »



title Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Nicholas Walters on November 26

Vasyl Lomachenko

By Chris Williams: Vasyl Lomachenko (6-1, 4 KOs) will be defending his WBO super featherweight title against fellow Top Rank fighter Nicholas Walters (26-0-1, 21 KOs) on November 26 at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. This is great news for boxing fans, especially those who were tired of waiting for Lomachenko and Walters to finally face each other.

The fight should have been made in 2015 rather than at the tail end of 2016. It’s better late than never. Lomachenko and Walters have both reportedly signed the contract for the fight, which will be televised on HBO Championship Boxing unless Top Rank promoter Bob Arum chooses to go it alone by having them fight on his own show. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. Read the rest of this entry »



title Cleverly can beat Braehmer by decision says Peter Fury

cleverly

By Scott Gilfoid: Trainer Peter Fury thinks Nathan Cleverly can get a decision win this Saturday night against WBA light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer in their fight in Germany. Peter says that Tyson Fury proved that you can beat a fighter in Germany with his win over Wladimir Klitschko last November in Dusseldorf.

Peter thinks that Cleverly (29-3, 15 KOs) should go into Saturday’s fight against Braehmer looking to out-box him rather than looking for a KO. Cleverly can’t punch, so it’s a dumb idea for him to be looking to knockout Brahmer (48-2, 35 KOs), because it’s probably not going to happen. The only guys that Cleverly has been able to knockout during his career were weak opponents and not the quality guys. Read the rest of this entry »



title Golovkin’s trainer talks $10M offer for Canelo fight

1-o2arena-golovkin-brook-59

By Patrick McHugh: Gennady Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez compares the lowball $10 million offer from Golden Boy Promotions to Golovkin for a fight against Saul Canelo Alvarez to a $40 million offer Floyd Mayweather Jr. made to Manny Pacquiao in the past for a mega-fight between them. Pacquiao wisely turned down the $40 million from Mayweather.

Later on the two stars fought each other in May 2015, and Pacquiao walked away with $200 million for the fight, says Sanchez. Had Pacquiao agreed to the $40 million that Mayweather initially offered him for the fight, then he would have lost out on a huge amount of money. Read the rest of this entry »



title Should Klitschko take a fight soon?

wladimir7

By Gav Duthie: Through no fault of his own Wladimir Klitschko has admitted that this is the most inactive he has ever been in his career. He has not fought since his 12 round unanimous decision loss to Tyson Fury last November with the Mancunian heavyweight pulling out of two scheduled rematches in July and October.

Fury is citing depression for the latest call off which suggests this fight wont happen in the foreseeable future. In the last few days heavyweight prospects Dillian Whyte and Luis Ortiz have both stated they would take Fury’s place and Anthony Joshua has been mentioned for November. Wlad is not getting any younger and the question is will we see him again before the year is out. Read the rest of this entry »



title Braehmer wants Kovalev or Stevenson after Cleverly

braehmer

By Scott Gilfoid: WBA World light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer is looking past 29-year-old Nathan Cleverly for their fight this Saturday night in Germany. After fighting for 17 years as a pro and still without one career defining fight on his entire resume, Braehmer is saying he would like to fight either WBC champion Adonis Stevenson or IBF/WBA/WBO 175lb champion Sergey Kovalev.

Braehmer says he’d like to fight one or both of those guys before he wraps up his long career. At 37, Braehmer says he’s beating guys 10 years younger than himself. This is true. Braehmer is beating younger guys. However, he’s not being tested at all due to the younger guys being largely mediocre fighters and not the quality young guys like Artur Beterbiev, Joe Smith Jr. or Andre Ward.

The young guys that Braehmer has been beating are fighters like Konni Konrad, Pawel Glazewski, Robin Krasniqi, Eduard Guknecht and Roberto Feliano Bolonti. Those aren’t good fighters in my opinion, and I don’t think any of them should be ranked in the top 100 in the light heavyweight division, let alone in the top 15. Read the rest of this entry »



title Tyson Fury given 10 days by WBO to show medical status

fury888

By Patrick McHugh: The World Boxing Organization has reportedly sent a letter to IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Tyson Fury to have his medical doctor explain to them about the status of his medical problems relating to him pulling out of his scheduled October 29 title defense against Wladimir Klitschko.

The WBO has given Fury 10 days to have the information relayed to him. Presumably, if the information isn’t received by the WBO or if they’re not satisfied with the information their given, they’ll strip the 28-year-old Fury of his WBO strap. It’s unclear what the WBA will be doing.

It wouldn’t be surprising if they choose the same route, as there is a potential big money fight between Klitschko and IBF belt holder Anthony Joshua available if the WBA or WBO sanction the fight once the titles have been stripped from Fury if he doesn’t vacate the belts. Read the rest of this entry »



title Kovalev will target Ward’s bad shoulder

ward-kovalev (1)

By Allan Fox: Trainer John David Jackson says he plans on having his fighter IBF/WBA/WBO Light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev target Andre Ward’s bad shoulder that he’s had problems with when they face each other on November 19 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are a lot of boxing fans that are excited about this fight. Let’s hope this match-up doesn’t turn out to be a dud like the much hyped Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao fight from last year. There are still a lot of angry fans about that high-priced dud.

Jackson specifically wants Kovalev to land his big power shots on Ward’s shoulder area, and try and break or hurt it enough to where he can’t use it. Jackson says it’s legal to punch to the shoulders, and he wants to make Ward quit. Read the rest of this entry »



title Golovkin had NO respect for Kell Brook

1-o2arena-golovkin-brook-30

By Scott Gilfoid: According to trainer Abel Sanchez, Gennady “GGG” Golovkin had no respect at all for Kell Brook in their fight on September 10 of this month, and that’s why Golovkin was sloppy in the fight. Sanchez says Golovkin could have made it a very technical fight and boxed the 30-year-old Brook if he wanted to, but he had no reason to, being that Brook had no power and couldn’t hurt him.

Golovkin ended up breaking Brook apart in the 5th round causing his trainer Dominic Ingle to throw in the towel to save him from getting badly hurt. Brook’s right eye socket was broken by the power of Golovkin’s left hook in the 2nd round. Brook would later say that he could have been blinded in his right eye if he had stayed in the fight and continued to take blows to the head. Read the rest of this entry »



title Joshua vs. Klitschko possible

joshua566

By Jim Dower: With Tyson Fury out of the picture in defending his IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight titles against Wladimir Klitschko, one possible fight that could occur in place of that is a match between Wladimir and IBF champion Anthony Joshua for one of Fury’s titles.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn is talking about possibly matching him against Wladimir for Fury’s World Boxing Association title if the WBA can strip him of the title in time for Joshua and Wladimir to fight in November. Fury and Klitschko were supposed to fight on October 29 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England.

Fury pulled out of the fight, leaving Klitschko without the rematch and unable to fight for the titles that he lost to Fury last November. A fight between Wladimir and Joshua would make big news around the world with boxing fans. It would make good money on pay-per-view, and could easily sellout a stadium in the UK or in Germany. Read the rest of this entry »



Follow

Search
Social
Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Link To Us
please use above banner to link back to us!
Archives
Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Contact Us