By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn plans on upgrading his fighter #7 WBC heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua (11-0, 11 KOs) against a higher grade of talent if he’s able to get past 35-year-old American journeyman Kevin Johnson in their fight on May 30th.
Hearn says he wants to match the 25-year-old Joshua against the following heavyweights in the next 12 months: Dillian Whyte, Dereck Chisora, David Price, David Haye and Tyson Fury. All I can say to that is good luck trying to make those fights.
By Scott Gilfoid: In the latest boxing news, Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn is thinking of inserting unbeaten #7 WBC heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua (11-0, 11 KOs) on the May 9th Birmingham card in place of welterweight contender Frankie Gavin, who Hearn is thinking of pulling off the card.
By Scott Gilfoid: With some boxing fans thinking that unbeaten British heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua (10-0, 10 KOs) backed out of his January 31st fight against 35-year-old journeyman Kevin Johnson (36-6-1, 14 KOs) out of worry about not being ready for that class of fighter, Joshua says he wants to reschedule with Johnson for April 25th after he fights a stay busy fight against a still to be determined foe on April 4th at the Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom.
By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten #8 WBC heavyweight contender Anthony Joshua (10-0, 10 KOs) was forced to pull out of his previously scheduled fight against 35-year-old journeyman Kevin Johnson (29-6-1, 14 KOs) today due to a lingering pars stress fracture in Joshua’s back from his last fight against journeyman Michael Sprott last November.
By Scott Gilfoid: Undefeated heavyweight prospect Anthony Joshua (10-0, 10 KOs) will be back in the ring next month against 35-year-old journeyman Kevin Johnson (29-6-1, 14 KOs) in a 10 round fight at the O2 Arena in London, UK.
by Daven: Prior to Saturday’s encounter with Michael Sprott, there was much speculation suggesting Anthony Joshua would soon be facing Kevin Johnson on January 31. These rumours have proven to be true as AJ and Eddie Hearn spoke of the plan two nights ago. The central concern for fighter and promoter in this case, is to try to find an opponent who can take Joshua into the second half of a fight without posing any real threat. Johnson seems to fit the bill then.
(Photo: Babak Shah Photography) By Allan Fox: #6 WBC heavyweight contender Manuel Charr (25-1, 15 KO’s) weighed in today for his 10 round fight on Saturday night against high level journeyman Kevin Johnson (29-5-1, 14 KO’s) at the Telekom Dome, Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Charr weighed in at 242.5lbs. This is a fight that Charr needs to keep moving forward to an eventual title shot against whoever emerges as the new WBC heavyweight champion.
By Scott Gilfoid: #7 IBF Kevin Mitchell (37-2, 27 KO’s) says he’ll be fighting #6 IBF Ghislain Maduma (16-0, 10 KO’s) in an IBF lightweight eliminator bout on the undercard of Carl Froch vs. George Groves rematch on May 31st at the Wembley Stadium in London, UK. The winner of the Mitchell-Maduma fight will become the IBF mandatory challenger to champion Miguel Vazquez.
By Allan Fox: #7 WBC Manuel Charr (25-1, 15 KO’s) will be facing Kevin Johnson (29-5-1, 14 KO’s) next month in a scheduled 12 round bout at the elekom Dome, in Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Charr will be defending a number of his minor level heavyweight title straps in the fight. This is a fight between two of the former WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko’s previous title challengers. Both Charr and Johnson were easily beaten by Vitali in the past, and both of them have seen their careers stuck in quicksand since then.