Boxing Results: Mauricio Lara KO’s Jose Sanmartin!

By Ken Hissner: At the Distrito Federal, Mexico City, Mexico, Saturday on DAZN, Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing) presented in Main Event Mexico’s Featherweight Mauricio “Bronco” Lara stopped Colombia’s WBA Fedecentro Super Bantamweight champion Jose “El General” Sanmartin in the third round.

In co-feature WBO NABO Lightweight champion Angel “Tashiro” Fierro, of Tijuana, Baja California, MEX, in a war stopped Jeremy Cuevas of Philadelphia, PA, seven rounds.

YouTube video

In the Main Event, Mauricio “Bronco” Lara, 25-2-1 (18), #127, of Distrito Federal, Mexico City, MEX stopped Jose “El General” Sanmartin, 33-6-1 (21), #126.6, of Barranquilla, COL, at 1:36 of the third round of a scheduled 10 rounds.

In the first round, it was Lara having his way for the most part. In the second round, again, Lara had his way rocking Sanmartin halfway through the round with a right on the chin. It continued until the final half-minute when he was hit with a low left from Sanmartin getting a warning from the referee.

In the third round, a right from Lara dropped Sanmartin for an 8-count. Lara jumped all over him, dropping him a second time with a left hook on the chin down to a knee as the referee waved it off.

In the co-feature WBO NABO Lightweight champ Angel “Tashiro” Fierro, 20-1-2 (16), #134, of Tijuana, Baja California, MEX in a war stopped southpaw Jeremy “King” Cuevas, 14-2 (10), #137.6, of Philadelphia, PA, at 0:53 of the seventh round of a scheduled 10 rounds.

In the first round, it was all Cuevas with a jab in the face of Fierro and occasional body shots from the Philly southpaw. In the second round, Fierro turned the fight around, taking it big with Cuevas countering on occasions.

In the third round, Cuevas, like in the first, gave Fierro a boxing lesson except for an uppercut from Fierro snapping the head of Cuevas back at the midway point.

In the fourth round, Cuevas controlled the first half of the round until he was rocked by a right from Fierro, who took over the second half of the round. In the fifth round, Fierro landed over two dozen unanswered punches. Referee Miguel Sansores took a close look at what Fierro did to him. At the end of the round, it was Cuevas finishing stronger.

YouTube video

In the sixth round Cuevas stopped boxing and fell into the trap of Fierro’s strength of a slugging match, with the latter getting the best of it. In the seventh round, what was holding up Cuevas on the receiving end of almost two dozen punches, was a wonder before referee Sansores stepped in to call a halt.

Reshat “The Albanian Bear” Mati, 13-0 (7), #139.2, of Staten Island, NY, won a close action-packed fight over Leonel Rodriguez, 10-3-1 (5), #142.2, of Aguascalientes, MEX, 10 rounds, for vacant WBC Youth Silver Super Lightweight title.

In the first round, it was close, with Mati out-landing Rodriguez, a late sub. In the second round, Mati landed a right, and a clash of heads caused a cut on the hairline of Rodriguez. The rest of the round, they continued with plenty of action.

In the third and fourth rounds, Mati continued outworking Rodriguez, who never stopped coming forward. In the fifth round, there was another clash of heads. Mati kept up countering well, having no chance to rest due to Rodriguez coming forward.

In the seventh round, Rodriguez turned things around though it was Mati who rocked him with a right midway. In the eighth round, Mati had the edge until the final twenty seconds when Rodriguez rallied.

In the ninth round, there was the third clash of heads. It was another all-action round. In the tenth and final round, this action-packed fight went back and forth, to the delight of the fans.

Scores were all 97-93 and 96-94 by this writer.

Referee Laurentino Ramirez

Super Feather Alberto Mora, 5-0 (4), of Mexico City, MEX, won in a war over Diego Andrade, 14-8-2 (1), of Durango, MEX, over 8 rounds.
In the third round, Andrade was bleeding badly from the mouth from a left hook from Mora. In the fourth round, Andrade was bleeding from the nose and mouth from the beating Mora is giving him.

In the fifth round, Andrade keeps sticking his tongue out while taking a beating from Mora. Mora can’t miss with the left hook. In the sixth round, Andrade had Mora on the ropes with a flurry. Mora then took over once again.

In the seventh round, Andrade wouldn’t give up no matter how many times Mora rocked him; he would fight back.

In the eighth and final round, Mora’s fans were chanting his name. A right on the chest from Mora dropped Andrade for an 8-count. With a minute left, the referee brought in the ring physician to check Andrade.

Scores were 80-71, 79-72, and 78-73, with 80-71 by this writer. It was the eleventh unbeaten opponent for Andrade.

The ring Announcer David Diamante

YouTube video