Mikey Garcia not fighting on October 18th, Dazn card canceled
By Dan Ambrose: Mikey Garcia won’t be fighting on Matchroom/DAZN show on September 18th as the card won’t be taking place. Mikey (40-1, 30 KOs) has been in negotiations to fight little-known welterweight contender Sandor Martin on the September 18th card.
It’s unclear whether the former four division world champion Mikey, 33, wanted too much money for what would have been another tune-up for him. Mikey had a tune-up in his last fight against past his prime Jessie Vargas in February 2020.
Mikey got paid top dollar for that match against the washed-up Vargas, who wasn’t ranked in the top 15 at the time at 147. Vargas has been passed it since he was schooled by Manny Pacquiao in 2016.
Keith Idec is reporting the news of DAZN/Matchroom’s September 18th card not talking place.
If DAZN chose not to go with this September 18th card, it wouldn’t be surprising if they recognized that the boxing public wouldn’t have been excited at the thought of seeing Mikey Garcia fight Sandor Martin.
If Mikey wants to headline cards on DAZN, he needs to fight opposition that the U.S fans have at least heard of before.
U.S fans have no idea who the Spanish fighter Martin is, and it wouldn’t bring in a lot of new subscribers to DAZN. I mean, Mikey already had a tune-up fight last year against Jessie Vargas.
By now, Mikey should be ready to fight top-level opposition rather than shooting for another tune-up fight.
Regis Prograis had been hoping to fight Mikey, but he was disappointed when he was told that he needs a tune-up opponent.
“Of course, since I heard that I was gonna be fighting a guy like Mikey Garcia, my foot been on the gas in the gym but now the word is he’s needing a “Tune-up” ok? My job is work my a** off to dominate and I don’t see that ever-changing. #WhoNext,” said Regis Prograis on Twitter.
Mikey Garcia was in talks to fight Spain’s Sandor Martin, per sources https://t.co/P9oHGk0mjt
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) August 30, 2021
At this rate, Mikey might not fight in 2021, which will make it all the harder for him when he finally does return to the ring in 2022. Mikey wants a big fight, but it’s difficult to justify him getting one based on his long period of inactivity.
“Mikey Garcia, a lightweight that is now a welterweight is what it should have been,” said Keith Thurman to ESNEWS when asked who Gervonta ‘Tank Davis should fight next. “I like that too, but I never heard of Mikey being interested.
Broner is another name I’ve never heard in my whole career,” Thurman said on whether he’d like to fight Adrien Broner.
“I never heard about me fighting Amir Khan. So, I never heard about Adrien Broner really stepping in the ring with me,” said Thurman.
Mikey tells his fans to “Be patient”
“I haven’t finalized anything yet,” said Mikey Garcia in speaking to Rainbow Alexander about his next fight. “Still have a process in the works. I’ll be back, be patient,’ said Mikey.
“I think the rematch is well-deserved and they need to have a rematch,” said Mikey about Vasily Lomachenko and Teofimo Lopez. “Loma did a lot better in the second half of the fight. So maybe if he’d started a little sooner. I’d probably pick Loma to win.
- Mikey Garcia looking good training for Oct.16th fight
- Mikey Garcia explains why he’s not fighting Regis Prograis
- Announced: Mikey Garcia vs. Sandor Martin on October 16th on Dazn
- DAZN announces Garcia vs. Martin, Whyte vs. Wallin & Parker vs. Chisora 2