Teofimo Lopez Sr reacts to postponed fight for his son with George Kambosos Jr
By Sean Jones: Teofimo Lopez Sr says his son Teo is recovering from the COVID 19 illness that caused his fight scheduled for this Saturday night against George Kambosos Jr to be postponed until August 14th.
It’s unclear whether Teofimo’s diagnosis was confirmed or not, as there are rumors on social media that he wasn’t sick at all, that this was a move done because the tickets weren’t selling.
Where is the doctor’s note to verify Teofimo’s illness?
It would help Teofimo if he had the doctor’s note to show his fans that he’s really sick and not pulling out because the fight wasn’t selling. Teofimo’s promoter at Top Rank said months ago that his fight with Kambosos Jr (19-0, 10 KOs) wasn’t a marquee type of fight, and perhaps they were right.
Before the postponement of the Teofimo Jr vs. Kambosos fight this week, Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe said that ticket prices for the Triller PPV event had been slashed dramatically.
The question is, was it a coincidence that Teofimo became ill with COVID 19 this week after Ellerbe’s post about the ticket prices being dramatically reduced?
“While you running around here making these dumb a** memes about Floyd you guys should focus on selling tickets to your concert, I mean, fight next week. Your ticket prices for your big PPV event originally were $175 to $2500, now they are $40-$400. Y’all f**** with the wrong people,” said @LEllerbe to Triller.
Before the postponement this week by Teofimo, there was very, very little buzz about the Teofimo-Kambosos Jr fight.
Maybe the fact that other fights are going on this weekend, or the fans saw it as a mismatch/money grab.
Whatever the case, there wasn’t any buzz this week about Teofimo’s fight with the little-known Kambosos Jr.
Lopez (16-0, 12 KOs) vs. Kambosos Jr had been scheduled as the headliner on Triller pay-per-view at the LoanDepot Stadium in Miami.
Teofimo Sr says they had to cancel the show because they were the ones selling the tickets for the event, which included some musical acts.
“My son was in his best shape, he was ready to go,” said Teofimo Sr to Boxtalk 101. “He’s alright, though. He’s stable right now, and every day he’s getting better.
“I told everybody to pray for him, and we should be back on August 14th. They canceled the show because he’s the real deal, you know? We were the ones selling the tickets, and Triller canceled the whole show.
“In a way, it’s good. It’s a little bit of karma while at the same time we’re good because we’re going to bring the best on August 14th. That’s enough time for him to recuperate and come back,” said Teofimo Sr.
Maybe it would be a good idea for Triller to bundle the Teofimo vs. Kambosos Jr with another big fight like Oscar De La Hoya’s comeback. If Triller placed the Teofimo-Kambosos Jr fight on the undercard of De La Hoya’s comeback, it would bring in excellent PPV numbers.
- Teofimo Lopez agrees to Oct.16th date for George Kambosos Jr. fight
- Teofimo Lopez refusing to move off Oct.4th date like Triller wants
- Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos Jr could be moved to October 16th at Barclays Center
- George Kambosos Jr: says he’ll fight Lomachenko after beating Teofimo Lopez