WBA orders rematch between Joshua Franco and Andrew Moloney
By Allan Fox: In a predictable move, the World Boxing Association has ordered a rematch between WBA secondary super flyweight champion Joshua Franco and Andrew Moloney to clear up the controversy of their second clash last month on November 14th.
The WBA has given World 115-lb champion Franco (17-1-2, 8 KOs) and #2 contender Moloney (21-1, 14 KOs) 30 days to negotiate the trilogy match between them. If not deal is in place within a month, a purse will subsequently take place.
Franco suffered an eye injury from what was said to be from a clash of heads that resulted in his rematch with the Australian Moloney, 29, being stopped after two rounds and ruled a no-decision.
Franco vs. Moloney III possible for April or May
The controversial part is that many boxing fans saw no head-butt, and many of them felt that the eye damage was from the punches that Moloney was raining on Franco.
Moloney caught Franco off guard with his fast start in the fight, as he was nailing the San Antonio, Texas native with punch after punch in the two rounds of action.
Franco didn’t look mentally or physically prepared for Moloney’s high volume attack, and his left eye quickly closed.
The World Boxing Association (WBA) ordered an immediate rematch between Super Flyweight Champion Joshua Franco and challenger Andrew Moloney. They will have 30 days to negotiate the terms or the fight will be called to purse bids pic.twitter.com/7nsIzpQwaT
— WBA Boxing (@WBABoxing) December 10, 2020
There was a lot of criticism directed at referee Russell Mora for him ruling that Franco’s eye injury came from a clash of heads, but that’s what he felt.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who promotes Moloney, is said to be interested in staging the trilogy match between Andrew and Franco in April or May in Brisbane, Australia.
That would be good obviously for his fighter Moloney, who potentially could be fighting in front of a home crowd if boxing fans are allowed back in by that point.
But that obviously wouldn’t be a good deal for the Golden Boy promoted WBA World super flyweight champion Franco to have to defend his title in front of a hostile crowd on Moloney’s turf.
Moloney lost the first fight
Franco and Moloney likely would have been fighting a third time anyway, even if Andrew had been given the victory last November. It was clear that a third would have happened under that circumstance.
The difference is, Moloney won’t be coming into the third match the champion the way many boxing fans believe he should be.
Franco defeated Moloney by a 12 round unanimous decision in their first fight last June in Las Vegas, Nevada. In the 11th round, Franco dropped Moloney. The scores were 114-113, 115-112, and 114-113.
- VIDEO: Fury-Wilder 3 was an Instant Classic
- Paul “The Pittsburgh Kid” Spadafora Leads 23 inducted into PAB HOF!
- Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder III: Post Fight Analysis
- Boxing Results: Jared Anderson destroys Vladimir Tereshkin