Haney slams Luke Campbell over his comments
By Jeff Aronow: Devin Haney reacted with anger on Wednesday after learning about Luke Campbell’s comments on him still fighting Javier Fortuna for the vacant WBC lightweight title. Haney says he’s now going to defend against #1 WBC Fortuna next. And as far as he’s concerned, Campbell can get in line and wait for his title shot.
It’s unknown who Campbell, 32, spoke to for him to be still under the belief that he’ll be fighting Fortuna next for the vacant WBC 135-lb title.
Campbell not saying who told him he’s still fighting Fortuna
It’s possible that Campbell is just going by the old information that he was given to him about how he and Fortuna were to scrap for the WBC belt. It looks like things have changed with the news that Haney has been reinstated as the WBC’s lightweight champion.
Campbell (20-3, 16 KOs) is coming off of a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision loss to Vasiliy Lomachenko last August. Those two battled it out for the WBC lightweight crown. Campbell was soundly beaten by Lomachenko, and he hasn’t fought since.
Haney (24-0, 15 KOs) was reportedly reinstated by the World Boxing Council as their lightweight title.
Previously, the WBC gave Haney the ‘Champion in Recess tag after he injured a shoulder in his title defense against Alfredo Santiago last November.
Luke Campbell shouldn’t be fighting for a world title
“As of today, it has been announced that I am the WBC champion,” said Haney to IFL TV. “I was always the WBC Champion in Recess, and I’ 100% healthy and ready to come back to fight my mandatory or whoever they’d like to fight.
“And I really don’t know, and I don’t really care,” said Haney when asked what his thoughts are on Luke Campbell says he’s still fighting Javier Fortuna for the vacant WBC title. ‘I really don’t think Luke Campbell should be fighting for a world title. He’s coming off of a loss, and this would be a third shot at a world title.
“There are other people that deserve a world title shot more. I saw an interview where he [Campbell] said I need to form a line. Form a line for what? You lost your last fight, and you haven’t even had a tuneup fight,” said Haney on Campbell.
It’s good that Haney has his WBC title back, but it doesn’t change a lot. If the WBC had chosen to keep Haney as their ‘Champion in Recess,’ he would still need to the winner of the Campbell vs. Fortuna fight. The only advantage that Haney has now is he’s back in as WBC champion, and he can use his A-side status to get a bigger purse split against future opponents.
It doesn’t make sense that the WBC wanted Campbell to face Fortuna for their World Boxing Council 135-lb title. By the WBC wanting Campbell and Fortuna to fight for their title, they were rewarding Campbell for failing. It would have been better if the WBC chose a contender that hadn’t just lost.
Devin Haney to fight Javier Fortuna next
“For him to be fighting for a world championship again, it makes no sense,” continued Haney in talking about Campbell. “We were in line to fight, but he chose to go a different route.
“As of now, I’ll be looking to fight Javier Fortuna because he’s mandatory. Campbell can fall in line. It doesn’t matter. I’m WBC champion and ready to fight whoever. He’s 100 percent wrong, and he will not be fighting for a world title in his next bout,” Haney said of Campbell.
“He said I could fall in line, but how? He’s [Campbell] coming off of a loss,” said Haney. “What makes him deserve another shot at a world title when he’s coming off of a loss? He hasn’t even fought one time, and he hasn’t even had a tuneup fight,” Haney said of Campbell.
Haney vs. Fortuna would be an interesting one. The 30-year-old former WBA super featherweight champion Fortuna (35-2-1, 24 KOs) has won his last two fights since losing to Robert Easter Jr. by a controversial 12 round split decision in 2018. Fortuna has the power and the unpredictable style of fighting that could give Haney problems.
At this point, there would be more interest by boxing fans in a grudge match between Haney and Campbell. That’s the fight that Haney should be looking to fight.
Hearn hasn’t spoken to Haney yet on WBC situation
“He hasn’t said anything, to be honest,” said Haney when asked what his promoter Eddie Hearn said to him with the news of him being reinstated as the WBC champion. “The WBC did the right thing. I got hurt, and I didn’t get hurt outside of the ring.
“They did the right thing in reinstating me as the WBC lightweight champion. I’m willing to fight whoever. I’m not looking for an easy fight, and I’m not ducking and dodging. Whoever it is, I’ll fight them. I want to get in the ring soon,” said Haney.
It’s not all that surprising that Eddie Hearn hasn’t spoken to Haney as of yet. The Matchroom Boxing promoter Hearn’s father Barry suffered a minor heart attack last Sunday. Eddie likely is steeling reeling from that.
- Ryan Garcia and Eddie Hearn argue over Haney fight
- Ryan Garcia given a free pass from fans for not fighting Haney says promoter
- Bob Arum says Devin Haney must prove himself to get Teofimo
- Lomachenko vs. Devin Haney or Ryan Garcia interests Arum