Boxing News - Latest Headlines


Whyte wants Fury in December, then Joshua in April

Anthony Joshua Tyson Fury Dillian Whyte

By Scott Gilfoid: Dillian Whyte is hoping to use his victory over former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker to get a fight against Tyson Fury in December followed by a world title shot against Anthony Joshua next April at Wembley Stadium in London, England.


Whyte’s dream of getting Fury to face him sounds like a pipe dream. It’s not realistic. Whyte should be trying to get Tony Bellew to face him or better yet, he should tell his promoter Eddie Hearn to line him up with a fight against Cuban southpaw Luis Ortiz.

Even though Fury is saying a fight between him and WBC champion Deontay Wilder is 99 percent done for December, Whyte doesn’t believe the two of them will face each other. Instead, he thinks he has a good chance of being the one that faces the 6’9” Fury in December. If not Fury, then he believes he’ll get a title shot against WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight Manuel Charr (31-4, 17 KOs).

Whyte (24-1, 17 KOs) won an ugly action-packed 12 round unanimous decision last Saturday over Joseph Parker (24-2, 18 KOs) at the O2 Arena in London. Whyte knocked Parker down twice, although one of the knockdowns was a clear head-butt in round two. Parker looked poor in the middle rounds in letting Whyte have his way with his fouling. The referee Ian John Lewis did little to address Whyte’s constant roughhouse tactics.

Whyte was hitting Parker with rabbit shots, shoving, holding and generally roughing him up the entire. It’s unclear why the referee chose not to stop Whyte from fouling, as it had a huge impact on the fight. Had Whyte been forced to fight a clean fight, there’s a good possibility that he would have lost. Whyte looked tired, slow and sluggish through most of the contest. His engine was horrible in comparison to Parker. The only thing that Whyte did a good job at was roughing Parker up.

Whyte did an A-1 job with the fouling of Parker. If the referee had been more on the ball in controlling the fouling, we likely would have seen Parker’s hand raised at the end, because Whyte should have been docked points multiple times in the fight in my opinion. Whyte being allowed to get away with roughing Parker up made a mockery of the fight because it didn’t look like a boxing match under the Marquis of Queensbury rules. The fight looked like an MMA fighter [Whyte] facing a boxer [Parker]. I don’t know what it is about Parker, but each time he’s fought in the UK, he’s gotten a bad deal.

“I want either Fury or Charr next,” Whyte said to skysports.com. “Charr has the WBA belt so why not, it’s a good fight. I know I do and it can be made. It’s time I got a shot. Then there’s Fury. He’s saying he wants to fight Wilder, but he’s talking rubbish, that won’t happen…Fury-Whyte is a great fight, let’s get it done. It’s more realistic him fighting me. If he wants a real fight, we can get it on in December.”

Fury isn’t interested in facing Whyte, because he’s not a world champion. Fury thinks Whyte should face Dereck Chisora in a rematch because he believes he deserved a loss in their fight in 2016. Whyte won a controversial 12 round split decision.

”I don’t think Dillian fancies the rematch [with Chisora], does he?” Fury said to IFL TV. ”He [Whyte] has said, ‘No, no, no,’ he doesn’t want a rematch. He lost the first fight in opinion by four rounds.”

Whyte might get the fight against Joshua on April 13 at Wembley Stadium, but his chances of getting a fight against Manuel Charr and Tyson Fury are not good. It’s possible if Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn throws a lot of money at Charr, he’ll agree to face him. As for Fury, he’s got bigger fish to fry against Wilder. He’s not going to waste his time fighting Whyte, especially after his foul-fest against Parker. Hearn can surely get Charr to agree to face Whyte, but it’s going to take a big offer to get that fight done. Charr has a fight against Fres Oquendo on September 24 in Cologne, Germany. That fight is likely going to be an easy one for Charr, as the 45-year-old Oquendo hasn’t fought in 4 years since 2014.

Comments are closed.

Subscribe
Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l  Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us