Antonio DeMarco retires from boxing
(Photo credit: Lucas Noonan/Premier Boxing Champions) By Dan Ambrose: Former WBC lightweight champion Antonio DeMarco (31-5-1, 23 KOs) has reportedly retired from boxing following his one-sided 10 round unanimous decision loss to former IBF super featherweight champion Rances Barthelemy last Sunday in their light welterweight clash at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The 5’10” southpaw DeMarco was a very good lightweight when he was fighting in that division, but when he moved up to light welterweight, he didn’t have the same advantages that he had in fighting in the lightweight division (135), and he struggled in that weight class with losses to Jessie Vargas and Bathelemy.
DeMarco also had a grueling 10 round decision win over Lanardo Tyner last August. That fight should have showed DeMarco that he wasn’t cut out for the light welterweight division, but he stuck it out and was promptly beaten by Vargas and Barthlemy.
“I want to apologize to all who had confidence in me and to my family,” DeMarco said via ESPN.com. “I feel at peace and at the same time disappointed with myself. I thank God and boxing and the people who always supported me for all they gave me during my career. It’s tough, but I know God will show me new goals and dreams to conquer.”
If DeMarco were to return to the ring at some point in the future, he really needs to go back down to lightweight. In that division, he found a lot of success. Occasionally, he met up with better fighters than himself like Adrien Broner and Edwin Valero, but for the most part he did well at 135. However, DeMarco is 29-years-old now, and he’s taken a lot of punishment in his career, so it’s not surprising that he’s stepping away at this time.
Against Barthlemy, DeMarco wasn’t able to pull the trigger on his punches like he used to do earlier in his career. It’s unknown if it was because of Barthlemy’s fighting style or if DeMarco was starting to show the signs of being in too many wars. But what was clear is that DeMarco doesn’t match up with the best light welterweights in the division, and he was pretty much wasting his time by fighting in that weight class unless he was fine with just being a contender.
“I will miss the ring and all the people, but will always have them in my heart,” DeMarco said. “God bless you today and always, and all my fights were for you, my family and people that helped me in my beginnings. Thanks to God for allowing me to fulfill my dream. I will miss the ring and all the people, but will always have them in my heart.”
DeMarco stopped Jorge Linares in the 11th round to capture the vacant WBC lightweight title in October 2011 in an exciting fight. DeMarco was behind in that fight, but he rallied to batter Linares to get the stoppage win. DeMarco also has impressive wins over Miguel Roman, John Molina, Reyes Sanchez, Daniel Attah, Nick Casal, Almazbek Raiymkulov, and Jose Reyes. At lightweight, DeMarco was very hard to beat. It’s just too bad that he didn’t choose to stay in that weight class because he wasn’t cut out to be a light welterweight.
- Jamal James decisions Antonio DeMarco – live fight results
- Jamal James vs. Antonio DeMarco, Martin vs Martz, Helenius vs Washington Weigh In Results
- Anthony Dirrell to call Jamal James vs. Antonio DeMarco fight this Sat. on FS1
- Jamal James vs. Antonio DeMarco on July 13 on FS1 in Minneapolis