Arum wants Chavez Jr to fight Froch
By Scott Gilfoid: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum wants former World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr (48-1-1, 32 KOs) to face IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch in Chavez Jr’s final fight of his contract with Top Rank. While Chavez Jr is saying he’s a free agent and has completed his contract with Top Rank, Arum is still saying he’s under contract for one more fight.
Arum wants that fight to be against Froch, and then he sees him being clear of him. Arum says he’s not going to try and get Chavez Jr to sign an extension as part of a deal for him to fight Froch. He just wants him to take that fight and then he’s clear.
Arum says that someone is tampering with Chavez Jr, and he plans on taking care of that in court.
“Chavez always told me he wants to fight Froch,” Arum said to Steve Kim at UCNlive.com. “We have one more fight on our contract with Chavez. Let him do that fight with Froch, who he says he wants to fight. Just one fight. He says he doesn’t want an extension. People have been tampering with him. We know. I look forward to him fighting Froch and going on his way.”
It’s not likely that Chavez Jr will willingly agree to fight Froch, because there’s been talk of Chavez Jr getting a fight offer from Floyd Mayweather Jr.
That’s a fight that would make Chavez Jr a ton of money if he were to take it. Further, Chavez Jr is the possible backup plan for former WBA/WBC junior middleweight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez if he’s unable to negotiate a fight against WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto.
If the two of them can’t agree to terms, then Chavez Jr might end up in the ring with Canelo. That’s a fight that would make good money on pay-per-view, and likely a lot more money than Chavez Jr’s previous biggest fight of his career against former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suspended by NSAC for refusing to take drug test
- Froch: Whyte would give Fury as tough a fight as Joshua
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Carl Froch And Barker Talk Fighting On The Road In ‘The Rounds’
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey