Tim Bradley vs. Diego Chaves possible for December 6 or 13, says Arum
By Dan Ambrose: Former WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley (31-1, 12 KOs) could be back in the ring on December 6th or 13th against Argentinian slugger Diego Chaves (23-2, 19 KOs), according to Steve Kim. He says that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is interested in matching two of his beaten fighters against each other.
Bradley was outclassed by Manny Pacquiao last April in losing by a 12 round decision in their long awaited rematch.
Chaves is coming off of what many boxing fans saw as a robbery in his 9th round disqualification loss to Top Rank fighter Brandon Rios last month on August 2nd. Chaves was hoping that he would get a rematch against Rios, but it looks like Arum isn’t interested in letting Chaves get a second crack at Rios.
Chaves was leading the fight against Rios going into the 9th round when referee Vic Drakulich suddenly stopped the fight after Chaves had put Rios in a head-lock. It was later learned that Chaves had been disqualified for throwing an elbow that no one saw thrown.
Bradley was hoping to get a shot against WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto in December, but that fight isn’t going to happen because Cotto says he won’t be fighting until early 2015. It was a longshot anyway for Bradley to get the fight.
Cotto would have taken a ton of heat from boxing fans if he’d fought a welterweight like Bradley, especially with him coming off of a loss to Pacquiao. Bradley hasn’t looked too good lately. He won a controversial decision against Ruslan Provodnikov in March of last year. Bradley then defeated Juan Manuel Marquez by a 12 round split decision last October in a very dull fight. Bradley moved in circles for the entire fight, making it almost unwatchable.
Chaves has got a lot of punching power, but his stamina is poor. Bradley will likely be able to beat him if he can use the same blueprint that he used for his fight against Marquez. If Bradley stands and trades with Chaves, we could see Bradly concussed again like he was against Provodnikov.
More Boxing News:
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- ‘Keith Thurman needs to get his mind right’ – Tim Bradley
- Tim Bradley prediction: Deontay Wilder STOPS Tyson Fury
- Danny Garcia calls Tim Bradley a “Top Rank puppet”
- Tim Bradley: Crawford is BEGGING the PBC fighters to face him
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Jeison Rosario message after knockout loss to Jermell Charlo