60,000 tickets sold for Froch-Groves II rematch within an hour
By Scott Gilfoid: In a sign of how how the Carl Froch vs. Geroge Groves rematch is, 60,000 tickets were sold out within the first hour of going on sale for their May 31st rematch at the Wembley Stadium, Wembley, in London, United Kingdom. Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn is looking to have additional tickets put on sale, as the stadium seats 80,000 for boxing events. That’s a ton of tickets. You don’t seen fights selling out that quickly, and it just kind of shows you how big this fight will be.
In hindsight, Groves was smart to push to have the fight staged at the Wembley Arena because if he had agreed to having it take place at the Nottingham Forest Grounds, it would have sold out after just 30,000 seats. I mean, they could still make their money if they tripled the price of the tickets, but I think that would have been off-putting for fans especially given how their previous fight ended controversially with the referee jumping on Groves in the 9th and halting it without warning or need.
If anything, the tickets for the rematch should have been discounted steeply due to the horrible outcome of their November fight. There wouldn’t have been a need for a rematch if the referee had simply let the fight play out without involving himself needlessly in the 9th. If he wanted to involve himself, he should have been on his J-O-B and been calling the awful fouling that was occurring left and right in the fight.
This fight is obviously going to sell out the entire Wembley Stadium. I just hope they’ve got some kind of crowd control there, because I’d hate to see a stampede at the ring if some kind of shenanigans go on like last time. That’s all we need is a big surge of humanity going towards the front of the stadium resulting in a lot of people getting hurt. Hearn shouldn’t cut costs in terms of having a huge security force in place just in case the crowd gets worked up to a frenzy and starts pushing towards the ring.
More Boxing News:
- Froch: Anthony Joshua isn’t worried about Oleksandr Usyk
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Froch: Whyte would give Fury as tough a fight as Joshua
- Billy Joe Saunders vs. Martin Murray – live results
- Lawrence Okolie vs. Michal Cieslak possible for Dec.12th for WBO cruiserweight belt
- Saunders needs to impress against Murray to get Canelo’s attention
- Live Stream: Errol Spence Jr. Vs. Danny Garcia Fox Weigh In