Lundy dominates Santana
By Jim Dower: #10 IBF, #13 WBC light welterweight contender Hank Lundy (24-3-1, 11 KO’s) easily beat an out-classed Angelo Santana (14-2, 11 KO’s) by a 10 round unanimous decision on Friday night at the Wolstein Center, in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. The final judges scores were 98-91, 98-91, 98-91. Lundy, 30, knocked the 25-year-old Santana down with a looping right hand in the 9th round of the fight. Santana tried to blame it on a slip, but the referee wasn’t having any of it and he correctly ruled it a knockdown.
Early on, the southpaw Santana seemed to have the better power and was landing the cleaner shots. However, once Lundy turned southpaw in the 3rd round, he dominated Santana the rest of the way. Santana looked tired as early as the 4th round, and he struggled with Lundy’s quicker hands and southpaw stance.
In the second half of the fight, Lundy become the aggressor and was backing Santana up constantly. It shouldn’t have been this way because Santana had come in the fight with a lot of early knockouts on his resume. However, the opposition that Santana had accumulated his wins over was incredibly poor, and he clearly wasn’t ready to face someone as good as Lundy tonight.
Santana has the power to be a good fighter, but he’s not busy enough with his shots. He needs to throw a lot more punches and he needs to develop his right hand and his jab. It was mostly left hand shots from Santana in this fight. The only time he used his right was when Lundy would back against the ropes. Santana would then throw a flurry of punches. Surprisingly, Lundy was getting the better of Santana even while backed up against the ropes. That was because of his hand speed and Santana’s horrible defense. He was just throwing shots blindly and forgetting about covering up.
More Boxing News:
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Boxing Results: Ted Cheeseman defeats Sam Eggington
- Boxing Results: Srisaket Sor Rungvisai defeats Amnat Ruenroeng
- WATCH LIVE: Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs. Amnat Ruenroeng
- Sam Eggington: ‘I think it’s a fight I definitely win and I think I win before the twelfth bell’
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev to fight in December with fans or without
- Leo Santa Cruz plans on burying Tank Davis with pressure on Oct.24