Lundy dominates Santana
By Jim Dower: #10 IBF, #13 WBC light welterweight contender Hank Lundy (24-3-1, 11 KO’s) easily beat an out-classed Angelo Santana (14-2, 11 KO’s) by a 10 round unanimous decision on Friday night at the Wolstein Center, in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. The final judges scores were 98-91, 98-91, 98-91. Lundy, 30, knocked the 25-year-old Santana down with a looping right hand in the 9th round of the fight. Santana tried to blame it on a slip, but the referee wasn’t having any of it and he correctly ruled it a knockdown.
Early on, the southpaw Santana seemed to have the better power and was landing the cleaner shots. However, once Lundy turned southpaw in the 3rd round, he dominated Santana the rest of the way. Santana looked tired as early as the 4th round, and he struggled with Lundy’s quicker hands and southpaw stance.
In the second half of the fight, Lundy become the aggressor and was backing Santana up constantly. It shouldn’t have been this way because Santana had come in the fight with a lot of early knockouts on his resume. However, the opposition that Santana had accumulated his wins over was incredibly poor, and he clearly wasn’t ready to face someone as good as Lundy tonight.
Santana has the power to be a good fighter, but he’s not busy enough with his shots. He needs to throw a lot more punches and he needs to develop his right hand and his jab. It was mostly left hand shots from Santana in this fight. The only time he used his right was when Lundy would back against the ropes. Santana would then throw a flurry of punches. Surprisingly, Lundy was getting the better of Santana even while backed up against the ropes. That was because of his hand speed and Santana’s horrible defense. He was just throwing shots blindly and forgetting about covering up.
More Boxing News:
- Lawrence Okolie vs. Michal Cieslak possible for Dec.12th for WBO cruiserweight belt
- Professional Boxing Needs YouTube Boxers… For Now
- Tyson Fury rejects BBC 2020 Sports Personality of the Year Award competition
- Boxing Results: Jake Paul destroys Nate Robinson, wants McGregor
- Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia – preview
- Video: Mike Tyson vs Jones Jr – Thoughts on the recent Exhibition
- Live Stream: Canelo Alvarez – Callum Smith DAZN Press Conference
- Boxing Results: Saunders schools Murray in one-sided 12 round decision