Broner’s trainer has different strategy for Maidana rematch
By Allan Fox: Former WBA welterweight champion Adrien Broner (27-1, 22 KO’s) tried to box Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 KO’s) last December and ended up getting knocked down twice and beaten up in losing a 12 round unanimous decision to the Argentinian fighter.
Broner’s trainer Mike Stafford now has a different strategy for the rematch in April if takes place then. Stafford wants Broner to come out on the attack immediately and brawl with Maidana. With that strategy, Stafford thinks Broner will come out victorious over Maidana.
“You know, Adrien, we’re going to do it, this time,” Stafford told RingTV. “This time, Adrien can do it if he does early like he did in the later rounds. If Adrien starts out in the fight like he did in the later rounds, then he wins the fight. He can’t have the second and eighth rounds. The second and the eighth rounds killed him.”
Broner needs to think about getting a new trainer before it’s too late, because if he follows Stafford’s plan for him to slug with Maidana in the rematch then he’ll very likely get knocked out. It was Broner’s mistake of trying to punch with Maidana that got him in trouble in the early rounds last December. Now, Stafford has his mind made up that it’s a good idea for Broner to come out looking to slug with Maidana while the Argentinian fighter is at his strongest. That would be a bad mistake on Broner’s part, because he doesn’t have the power, speed or size to stand and trade with Maidana in the early rounds. Broner almost has to give ground in the first 7 rounds in order to keep from getting knocked out. If he follows Stafford’s plans, he’ll get knocked out quickly.
Broner should have accepted Floyd Mayweather Sr’s offer to train him because he really needs a good trainer that can fix the flaws in his game, and give him some sound advice. Mayweather Sr. would never tell Broner to go after Maidana early. He would know that Broner would get hurt if he tries to fight Maidana like that. It’s bad enough that Broner wants a rematch with Maidana, but then try and trade with him early in the fight? That’s not a good idea for Broner.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Felix Verdejo possible on Oct.3 if Teofimo fight falls through
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Meng Fanlong on September 25 on ESPN+
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Devin Haney: A good replacement for Teofimo Lopez