Weigh-in: Arreola-Mitchell both weigh 242 lbs.
(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) By Eric Thomas: Former heavyweight title challenger Chris Arreola (35-3, 30 KO’s) came in at 242 lbs. at today’s weigh-in for his important fight on Saturday night against Seth Mitchell (26-1-1, 19 KO’s) at the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California. Mitchell also weighed in at 242 lbs., but he looked a lot more solid than Arreola for the fight. 242 lbs. is light for Arreola, but he’s not the type of fighter that is muscular for his weight.
Even at 242 lbs., Arreola looked to be carrying 30 pounds of fat on his frame. If you take that weight off, Arreola is more of a small heavyweight in the same neighborhood as the 209 lb. Steve Cunningham.
Mitchell has the power, size and boxing skills to win this fight, but his chin is the major problem for him. He doesn’t seem to take a good shot at all, and he’s not done a good job of developing his defensive skills to avoid getting hit.
Mitchell obviously had a lot of time to study his recent fight against Johnathon Banks from last June, and he’s got to be aware that he can’t afford to take any big shots from Arreola in this fight due to the danger of him getting hurt. Unless Mitchell’s chin has improved since his last two fights, he’s going to have to do everything he can to avoid getting hit in this fight because if he gets nailed by Arreola, it’s going to be all over for him. Arreola will finish him off fast if he can get Mitchell in trouble.
Official weights for the fight card:
Chris Arreola 242 vs. Seth Mitchell 242
Rafael Marquez 126 vs. Efrain Esquivias 126.4
.Ryan Caballero 120 vs Lyonell Kelly 121.6
Ronny Rios 128 vs Jose A Beranza 127
Rico Ramos 125.8 vs. Carlos Velasquez 126.2
Maurice Lee 135 vs Juan Carlos Sanchez 135.2
Joet Gonzalez 121 vs. David Reyes 123.6
Justin Deloach 151.6 vs Carl Hill 151.8
Ricky Lopez 126 vs. Pablo Batres
More Boxing News:
- Luis Ortiz vs. Scott Alexander on Nov.7 on Andy Ruiz vs. Chris Arreola card
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr
- Andy Ruiz Jr and Chris Arreola in discussions for fight
- Andy Ruiz Jr options for September: Arreola and Breazeale
- Mikey Garcia: Lomachenko beat weaker & smaller fighters
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing