Arreola destroys Mitchell in 1st round
By Jim Dower: Heavyweight Chris Arreola (36-3, 31 KO’s) did what everyone expected him to in destroying the glass-jawed Seth Mitchell (26-2-1, 19 KO’s) in the 1st round on Saturday night at the Fantasy Springs Casino, in Indio, California, USA.
Arreola knocked Mitchell down twice in the 1st round with hard right hands. Mitchell was able to get up from both knockdowns, but Arreola finished him off with a flurry of shots that resulted in the referee Jack Weiss halting the fight.
Arreola hurt Mitchell with a huge right hand early in the round, and then followed it up with another big right hand that dropped him. Mitchell’s legs were totally gone after he got back up, and he didn’t have the sense enough to try and hold.
Arreola then chopped Mitchell down with a couple of more big right hands to the head. After he got up from this knockdown, Mitchell was nailed with several right hands that caused him to try and run from Arreola. Mitchell ended up running behind the referee. At that point referee Jack Weiss stopped the fight.
Arreola said after the fight “I want the big one, I want the world title.”
With this victory we could see Arreola face unbeaten heavyweight Deontay Wilder (29-0, 29 KO’s) next. That’s the fight that has been talked about. It’s still unclear whether it’ll take place, but if so it could be an interesting fight. Arreola has a pretty good chin, and he can take a healthy shot as well saw tonight with him walking through a couple of really big punches from Mitchell. Deontay Wilder is on another level with his power, and he’s not as easy to hit as Mitchell. It would be a big step up for Deontay if Golden Boy Promotions allows him to take the fight.
Other boxing results on the card:
Efrain Esquivias TKO 9 Rafael Marquez
Ronnie Rios UD 8 Angel Beranza
Rico Ramos TKO 10 Carlos Velasquez
Ricky Lopez UD 4 Pablo Batres
Justin DeLoach TKO 3 Carl Hill
Joet Gonzalez UD 4 David Reyes
Maurice Lee UD 4 Juan Carlos Sanchez
More Boxing News:
- Luis Ortiz vs. Scott Alexander on Nov.7 on Andy Ruiz vs. Chris Arreola card
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr
- Andy Ruiz Jr and Chris Arreola in discussions for fight
- Andy Ruiz Jr options for September: Arreola and Breazeale
- Mikey Garcia: Lomachenko beat weaker & smaller fighters
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing