Golden Boy Promotions has big November 9th PPV card in the works
By Allan Fox: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says he’s working on a big pay per view card on November 9th, but he’s not saying which fighters will be on the card and who the headliner will be. Most of Golden Boy’s top fighters are already scheduled for fights or will have just finished fighting.
If it’s going to be a PPV card then it’s going to take a big name, as well as a popular fighter in co-feature bout for Golden Boy to bring in good numbers on Showtime PPV.
Schaefer said to RingTV “I cannot yet disclose to you what the November 9th per-per-view will be, but I will be holding the date with the PPV industry, and I will be holding the venue with the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.”
About the only Golden Boy fighters that are popular enough to fight on a PPV card around that time would be Adrien Broner, Marcos Maidana, Paulie Malignaggi, Victor Ortiz and Jesus Soto Karass. The Broner-Maidana fight would be big enough fight to bring in decent PPV numbers if Golden Boy were to go that route.
It’s probably still too early at this point for Broner to have his fights on PPV, because he’s still fought a big named opponent before. Broner needs at least one quality fighter on his resume for fans to see him as a guy they would want to pay to see. Right now, I don’t see Broner as having the popularity to transition into PPV fights.
Victor Ortiz hasn’t fought since last year in June, and it’s possible that Schaefer would want to have him on a PPV card for his first fight back after coming off of a 9th round stoppage defeat. But there’s no chance of him being in a main event given that he’s coming off of a 9th round stoppage loss to Josesito Lopez.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Pedraza vs. Molina & Efe Ajagba vs. Jonnie Rice -official weights
- Erickson Lubin 153 3/4 vs. Terrell Gausha 153 – Weigh-in results
- Josh Taylor vs. Khongsong undercard: Charlie Edwards and Davey O Joyce on Sept.26
- Dana White talks about what’s wrong with boxing
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall