Schaefer looking at three potential sites for Khan-Alexander fight
By Scott Gilfoid: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schafer will be flying to Dubai this Saturday to look over a venue there for the December 7th fight between IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (25-1, 14 KO’s) and Amir Khan (28-3, 19 KO’s). Besides Dubai, Schaefer is also looking at possibly staging the fight in the UK or New York.
As you can see, two out of three of those venues would favor the more popular Khan over the American champion Alexander, and it’s difficult to imagine that Alexander will say yes to fighting Khan in the UK or Dubai, knowing that if the fight were to go to a decision he might possibly be on the losing end of it.
Khan gets title shots left and right, but I doubt that Alexander would find himself getting another title shot any time soon if he were to lose by a questionable decision in Dubai or the UK.
Schaefer said to the NYFightBlog, “I’m looking at three possible venues, and I’m going to try and generate the most money for the athletes. Dubai is one possibility, the UK is another, and New York is another possibility.”
Fighting for money is nice, but is it really worth it for Alexander if he ends up losing by a controversial decision in one of the two venues that would seem to favor Khan? I mean, Alexander might get more money fighting in one of those venues rather than in New York, but he’s actually end up losing money because he would no longer have the IBF title if he were to lose by a questionable decision.
It’s not just the possibility of losing by a controversial decision that could hurt Alexander. Alexander would be fighting in front of a horde of Khan fans screaming their lungs out each time Khan throws an air flurry that misses Alexander. If the judges listen to the screaming from Khan’s fans, he could win every round just by throwing flurries in the air without even making contact.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Amir Khan: Joshua has to go for the KILL against Fury
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Amir Khan ready to wait until crowds come back
- Amir Khan with NO interest in fighting without fans present
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 tickets will be EXPENSIVE for December 19
- Vasiliy Lomachenko starts camp for Teofimo Lopez fight
- Terence Crawford with few options for next fight in 2020
- Joseph Parker and Junior Fa locked in negotiations
- Carlos Takam 245.7 lbs vs. Jerry Forrest 225.6 lbs – weigh-in results