Olusegun Ajose and Hank Lundy fight on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights on 7/19
By Allan Fox: Hank Lundy (22-3-1, 11 KO’s) will be trying to halt his 2-fight losing streak this Friday night against light welterweight contender Ajose Olusegun (31-1, 14 KO’s) in a scheduled 10 round bout at the Rockingham Park, Salem, in New Hampshire, USA.
Just last year, 29-year-old Lundy had been trying to get a fight against WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner, but he was ignored by him. Lundy has since lost his last two fights against Raymundo Beltran and Viktor Postol.
There’s no change of Lundy getting a fight against Broner now, if there ever was one. Lundy is now fighting at light welterweight, but he didn’t look good in his first fight at that weight against Postol last March.
Olusegun, 33, has won one fight against Rynell Griffin last April after having been stopped in the 10th round by Lucas Matthysse last September in a fight that was surprisingly competitive until the very end of the fight. Olusgune gave Matthysse all kinds of problems with his hard shots and steady pressure, but he eventually succumbed to his power in the 10th.
Lundy isn’t in the same league as Matthysee, and so this should be a much easier fight for Olusgune once he solves Lundy’s speed advantage.
This fight would have been a more interesting one had it took place last year before Lundy’s losses to Beltran and Postol. As it is now, it’s not really that interesting other than to see what Olusegun’s got left after his loss to Matthysse.
We already saw Lundy’s limitations in his recent defeats as well in his 10th round stoppage loss to John Molina in 2010. He’s a decent fighter but he’s been exposed by fringe level contenders. Olusegun should be able to stop Lundy by the 10th round, possibly earlier if he puts a lot of pressure on him.
More Boxing News:
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Egidijus Kavaliauskas vs. Mikael Zewski on September 12 on ESPN
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Boxing Results: Ted Cheeseman defeats Sam Eggington
- Boxing Results: Srisaket Sor Rungvisai defeats Amnat Ruenroeng
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism