Roger Mayweather: Canelo vs. Trout could have been a draw
By Dan Ambrose: Roger Mayweather, one of Floyd Mayweather Jr’s trainers, says he wasn’t all that impressed with WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s 12 round unanimous decision win over Austin Trout last April. To Roger, the fight could have been scored a draw because Canelo didn’t establish that he was better than Trout in that fight.
Roger said to esnewsreporting, “It could have been a draw. It wasn’t no amazing outcome.”
Roger is right. That was hardly a conclusive win by Canelo. I had it scored for Trout by at least 6 rounds, but given that the fight was held in San Antonio, Texas, in front of a huge, huge pro-Canelo crowd, I figured that counted for Canelo being given the first four rounds off the bat just based on him fighting in front of a huge crowd in his favor. But the judges just really seemed to ignore what Trout was doing and focused on just Canelo, because they scored it 115-112, 118-109 and 116-111 in Canelo’s favor.
The good news is the fight isn’t going to be taking place in San Antonio, Texas, it’s not going to be the same judges that scored the Canelo-Trout fight, and it won’t be open scoring.
This means that if Canelo is going to beat Mayweather Jr. on September 14th, he’s going to have to look like a lot better than he did last April, because I just don’t see the judges being mesmerized by Canelo’s low work rate like the judges that scored his last fight.
In other words, Canelo is going to have to put forth some effort if he wants to win this fight because the judges aren’t going to just give him rounds based on 2 or 3 punches landed. Mayweather is going to nailing Canelo over and over again in each round, and it there’s no way that the judges will be able to give Canelo rounds if he’s landing 2 or 3 hard shots like last time he fought.
More Boxing News:
- Hearn talks, Canelo, DAZN, Golovkin & Fury vs. Joshua
- Errol Spence targeting Canelo Alvarez for fight at 160 at Cowboys’ Stadium
- Canelo Alvarez sparring Oscar Valdez
- WBC extends Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid 15 days for vacant 168-lb belt
- Eddie Hearn still says Canelo could face Callum Smith or Saunders in 2020
- Mikey Garcia: Lomachenko beat weaker & smaller fighters
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing