Mayweather doesn’t think Canelo can out-box him
(Photo credit: Tom Casino/Showtime) By Dan Ambrose: Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26 KO’s) believes that his opponent WBA/WBC Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KO’s) has picked up things from watching him fight and now has incorporated it into his own game, such as the use of the shoulder role defense and fighting with his hands down.
Canelo uses both of these techniques off and on when he fights. However, Mayweather Jr. doesn’t think Canelo uses them well enough to beat him.
Mayweather said this as quoted by RingTV, “He’s [Canelo] a fan of mine. You have to realize this. He likes to use the shoulder-roll. He likes to fight with his hands down and use his defense. I can see a lot of me in Alvarez.”
Canelo does fight a lot like Mayweather when you see Canelo dropping his hands or using the shoulder roll the way that Mayweather does. It sure looks like pure Mayweather to me, albeit without the speed, looseness and athleticism that Mayweather has. Where Canelo deviates from that is when he gets in close and starts throwing body shots. He then turns into more of a Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. type of fighter, especially with his flat-footed style.
Canelo can’t move quickly on his feet like Mayweather even when he’s using the shoulder roll and fighting with his hands down by his sides. Canelo is still pretty much flat-footed and is easy to out-maneuver. He’s built more like a wrestler than a fighter.
Canelo has been winning obviously with that style, but he’s also been fighting a lot of pumped up welterweights that Golden Boy Promotions keeps matching him against for some reason. If Mayweather was fighting at welterweight against lightweights and light welterweights for the past 2-3 years, his fights would probably be much easier.
Mayweather said this about the idea that Canelo out-box him: “I wouldn’t say that. I wouldn’t say that at all.”
Canelo out-boxing Mayweather would be like a young student trying to out-box the teacher before he’s learned how everything the teacher can teach. It’s too early for Canelo to out-box Mayweather, and really I don’t think he can because he’ll never be as good with aspects of Mayweather’s style as Mayweather is. There’s also the missing ingredients in Canelo’s game that will keep him from being able to out-box Mayweather: Speed, defense, footwork, ring IQ, and overall talent.
More Boxing News:
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Canelo Alvarez offered new $20M per fight deal by DAZN
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Daniel Jacobs vs. Gabe Rosado on November 27th on DAZN
- Patrick Teixeira calls out Jermell Charlo – “I’ll end his career”
- Andy Ruiz Jr to fight in early 2021, starts training with Reynoso & Canelo today
- Devin Haney: Gamboa fight is a done deal, I can hurt him
- Oscar de La Hoya looking fast and powerful in mitts workout