Gavin Rees vs. Anthony Crolla on June 29th on Haye-Charr undercard in Manchester, UK
By Scott Gilfoid: 32-year-old Gavin Rees (37-2-1, 18 KO’s) faces 26-year-old Anthony Crolla (25-4-1, 9 KO’s) in a fight on the undercard of the David Haye vs. Manuel Charr heavyweight clash on June 29th at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK.
Rees is coming off of a 5th round stoppage loss at the hands of WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner last February. Rees was way out of his class in that fight and ended up hitting the deck twice, once in the 4th and another time in the 5th.
The fight was halted in the 5th when the badly hurt Rees was really getting it from Broner while up against the ropes. Rees’ corner opted to throw in the towel rather than letting Broner finish him off in the traditional fashion.
Crolla fought to a 12 round draw in his last fight against Derry Mathews in a fight that could have gone either way last March. I had Mathews winning the fight based on his bigger shots and cleaner landing punches.
Crolla had previously been stopped in the 6th round by Mathews last year in April. Crolla also was beaten by Gary Sykes by a 3 round decision in the Prizefighter lightweight tournament last October.
Rees should be able to get past Crolla no problems as long as his loss to Broner didn’t take too much out of him. Crolla is a pretty mediocre fighter, and Rees handles him 7 days a week, 365 days a year as long as he didn’t lose something from the Broner fight.
Crolla is one of those guys that if you let him hang around, he’ll give you problems. Rees has to get on him and give him a beating because he can’t let the youngster get his confidence.
Rees has got to do what Mathews did and that’s jump on Crolla early and tag him with some big shots and then put him out of his misery with a flurry.
More Boxing News:
- Andy Ruiz Jr vs. Chris Arreola talks going well
- Eleider Alvarez vs. Joe Smith Jr rescheduled for August
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai battles Amnat Ruenroeng on August 1 in Thailand
- The Story Of Michael Bentt: Heavyweight’s Forgotten King
- Boxing Results: Carlos Takam defeats Jerry Forrest
- Vergil Ortiz Jr in a hurry to face Terence Crawford
- Tureano Johnson and Jason Quigley added to the list for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight
- Canelo vs. Golovkin III targeted for May 2021
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Emanuel Navarrete targeting WBO mandatory spot at 126