Road to Donaire vs. Rigondeaux on March 30th on HBO
By Chris Williams: HBO Boxing will televise a short 15-minute special on March 30th titled “Road to Donaire-Rigondeaux” to hype their April 13th fight on HBO at the Radio City Music Hall, in New York, New York, USA. The special will be televised at 12:15 a.m. ET/PT.
This is going to be the first and only special, and it’s got to be disappointing that they’re only being given 15 minutes to show the lives of Rigondeaux and Donaire because what can you do in 15 minutes.
You would think a fight like this should have a series 24/7 episodes to hype the fight and try to attract some interest among the casual fans, but looks like all HBO is going to give them is a measly 15 minutes.
The Road to Donaire-Rigondeaux will be replayed 14 separate times, so at least they’ve got that going for them.
Both fighters are with Top Rank, and it’ll play out well for them regardless of which one wins the fight. There’s no doubt that a loss for Donaire, especially a bad knockout loss, would be a huge blow to his career. Top Rank are looking to make a big star out of Donaire him and a it would be a big backwards step for him if Rigondeaux is able to destroy him before he gets to the next level.
I don’t think Donaire can become a Manny Pacquiao type star because he’s fighting in the wrong weight class, and he doesn’t brawl enough. What also hurts Donaire is that most of his opponents are much smaller than him, and they’re not able to compete with a guy his size.
What Donaire should do is move up three divisions to the lightweight division, because he’s already as big as a lightweight right now. At 5’7”, 135, Donaire is as big as WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner, but Donaire melts down to fight against super bantamweights instead of fighting against guys that could help make him a more popular fighter.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire tests positive for COVID, Emmanuel Rodriguez fight off for Dec.19th
- Interview: Nonito Donaire opens up on ‘The Monster’ Naoya Inoue and much more
- WBC makes Oubaali champion in recess, Donaire and Rodriguez to fight for the vacant 118-lb title
- John Riel Casimero vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux in the works for March or April 2021
- Vergil Ortiz Jr vs. Maurice Hooker moving to March 20th
- Canelo Alvarez a massive 20 to 1 favorite over Avni Yildirim
- Mikey Garcia open to fighting Devin Haney, wants Hearn to call him
- Ryan Garcia finalizing his huge “mega-fight” this week