Provodnikov says his #1 goal is a rematch with Bradley
By Chris Williams: #3 WBO welterweight contender Ruslan Provodnikov (22-2, 15 KO’s) is holding out hope that WBO 147 lb. champion Tim Bradley (30-0, 12 KO’s) will decide on facing him next as he’s recovered from their March 16th fight that Bradley won by a 12 round unanimous decision.
Provodnikov, 29, is willing to wait to get that fight again so that he can attempt to avenge the defeat and capture Bradley’s WBO welterweight title.
Provodnikov said to thaboxingvoice.com “For me rematch is the number 1 on my priority, I’m ready to fight him whenever. I know he needs some time to recover but I’m ready.”
I think Provodnikov needs to speak with Bob Arum, the promoter of Bradley, because Arum has already said there won’t be an immediate rematch. He wants to put Bradley in bigger fights against the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez or Brandon Rios. Arum hinted that he might put Provodnikov in with Mike Alvarado.
There’s no telling when Provodnikov will get a shot against Bradley, because it’s pretty clear that Arum is going to put Bradley in with one of the bigger names next, and after that Bradley, if he still has the WBO title, he’ll be due to fight his #1 WBO mandatory challenger Keith Thurman unless Arum is able to persuade the World Boxing Organization to let Bradley or whoever the WBO belt holder is by then to avoid the Golden Boy promoted Thurman so that they can fight someone else.
I still don’t think Provodnikov will get a title shot under those circumstances either. I think he’s going to have to wait until 2014 to get a title shot and/or a rematch against Bradley because Arum has other ideas for Bradley right now.
More than likely, Arum will wait until Bradley has suffered one or two bad defeats before he puts him back in with Provodnikov to try and build Bradley back up again to get him back to where he was.
More Boxing News:
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- ‘Keith Thurman needs to get his mind right’ – Tim Bradley
- Tim Bradley prediction: Deontay Wilder STOPS Tyson Fury
- Danny Garcia calls Tim Bradley a “Top Rank puppet”
- Tim Bradley: Crawford is BEGGING the PBC fighters to face him
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing
- Tyson Fury reaffirms he’s fighting on December 5th in London