Edwin Rodriguez is determined to win $1 Million Super 4 Tournament
By Omar Torres: Edwin Rodriguez (22-0 15 KOs) was unable to join the 2008 Olympics because of the birth of his premature twins who where born at just 23 weeks. Now Edwin is one of the top prospects in professional boxing from the super middleweight division and is working his way up the rankings.
On March 30th at the Monte Carlo casino and resort in Monte Carlo, Monaco, Rodriguez will finally get his shot at recognition when he fights in a 4-man tournament, with the winner rewarded with 1 million dolors. The semifinals will take place March 30th with Edwin Rodriguez (22-0, 15 KOs) going up against Ezequiel Osvaldo Maderna (19-0, 13 KOs) in a 10-round super middleweight bout and Zsolt Erdei (33-0, 18 KOs) against Denis Grachev (12-1-1, 8 KOs) in a 10-round light heavyweight fight. The final round will be on July 13th, also at the Casino de Monte Carlo, with the winners meeting at a maximum weight of 171 pounds, which is in between the super middleweight and light heavyweight limit.
In a recent interview with ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Rodriguez said “It is a dream come true for me to participate in this tournament, “I have worked my entire life for this opportunity and don’t plan on wasting it. While I am happy and honored to be in the tournament, I won’t be satisfied until I win it. Having not had the opportunity to participate in the 2008 Olympics, it’s an added bonus to be placed against an undefeated former Olympian in Maderna for my first fight.”
I expect Edwin ‘La Bomba’ Rodriguez to win this tournament and solidify himself as a real contender and threat at the super middleweight division, even though it is not going to be easy. Edwin is the fighting pride of the Dominican Republic which currently doesn’t have much top contending boxers. Me, also being Dominican will rout for him and wish him success in the tournament and his career. Edwin is fighting for his family and his family thrives him to win.
More Boxing News:
- Edwin Rodriguez and Antonio Russell & Leduan Barthelemy to be streamed on SHOWTIME
- Shawn Porter defends Against Yordenis Ugas on March 9
- Charles Martin stops Mike Marrone; Avalos and Rodriguez also win
- Jose Alfredo Rodriguez wants Roman Gonzalez
- Thomas Williams Jr. obliterates Edwin Rodriguez
- Arum doubts Wilder’s manager Shelly Finkel read contract for Fury trilogy
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Chisora: Oleksandr Usyk will get Fright of his life on October 31st
- Mayweather diminishes Lomachenko’s credentials following loss to Teofimo
- Haye says Whyte in denial about his knockout loss