Ward: I’ll return to the ring better than I was before
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward expects to have a full recovery from his recent shoulder surgery on his right shoulder to repair torn shoulder tissue in his socket. Ward should be back in the ring by June at the earliest if his rehab goes well.
Ward said “I am confident that I will return to the ring even better than I was prior to the injury. The best is yet to come.”
That’s downright scary to imagine Ward coming back even better than he was before because he was clearly the best fighter in the super middleweight division before the injury. Ward wants to beat up on Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler again after he comes back and he wants to beat them even worse than he did last time. However, he sees them both as dodging him in order to avoid another humbling defeat.
Before his injury occurred, Ward had a stay busy fight scheduled against former WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik scheduled for February but that fight obviously was cancelled due to the injury. Hopefully when Ward comes back he can get better fights than this because it’s not really sporting Ward facing Pavlik because that guy is past his prime now and fighting in the wrong division.
The World Boxing Council is reportedly interested in upgrading, if you want to call it that, Ward’s status as WBC champion to WBC Emeritus champion. The WBC will then have Ward’s WBC title up for grabs in the Sakio Bika vs. Nikola Sjekloca.
Ward is finding out the hard way that it’s sometimes not such a great thing to be the best fighter in the division because now the top fighters aren’t trying to get fights with him because they realize it means a guaranteed loss.
More Boxing News:
- Andre Ward: Roy Jones Jr. REJECTED $40 million to fight Mike Tyson in 2003
- Andre Ward doubts third Fury-Wilder fight would sell if Deontay was knocked out cold
- Andre Ward: ‘I wouldn’t recommend’ Wilder facing Fury in trilogy fight
- Andre Ward SCOLDS promoters/managers on TOO many tune-up level fights for their fighters
- Boxer of the decade (2010-2020)
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen