Hernan Marquez back in action on March 23; Chad Dawson leaves trainer Scully
By Allan Fox: Former WBA World flyweight champion Hernan “Tyson” Marquez (34-3, 24 KO’s) will be returning to the ring on March 23rd against an opponent still to be determined in Hermosillo, Mexico, according to RingTV.
Marquez, 24, was stopped in the 10th round in his last fight against WBO flyweight champion Brian Viloria last November in a fight where Marque was knocked down three times, once in the 1st, another time in the 5th and a final time in the 10th round.
Marquez was simply over-matched in that fight and there wasn’t anything he could to make himself competitive. Oddly enough, Marquez wants a rematch with Viloria. I think that’s a really bad idea because Viloria is so much better than him and he’s probably not going to be able to improve enough to beat Viloria in such a short time.
Dawson leaves trainer Scully
WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson has decided to leave trainer John Scully and return to his old trainer Eddie Mustafa Muhammad following a 10th round knockout loss to WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward last September. Dawson fought poorly and never could find the answers to what Ward was doing in the ring in that fight.
Dawson isn’t blaming the loss on Scully, however, because he still sees him as a great trainer. Dawson blames the defeat on him having to drop seven pounds from 175 to fight Ward at 168. The effort of having to take that weight off hurt Dawson and he feels he’s better than what he showed against Ward in that fight.
Dawson has a fight coming up in March against Jean Pascal. It’s still unknown if Pascal’s left bicep will be healed by then because he reportedly tore it in his recent fight.
Dawson sees himself beating Pascal in their rematch. He plans on starting fast to try and take Pascal out early. Dawson had Pascal hurt in the 11th round in their fight in 2010, but a clash of head opened up a bad cut over Dawson’s right eye, causing the fight to be stopped.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing results from the weekend: Paddy Donovan, Sergey Rabchenko, Chad Dawson
- Boxing Results: Chad Dawson defeats Quinton Rankin
- Chad Dawson faces Quinton Rankin on June 29
- Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia analysis & prediction
- Andrzej Fonfara vs. Chad Dawson on Sat. on CBS
- Mike Tyson: ‘Deontay Wilder wasn’t the same fighter in rematch”
- Tonight, WATCH Deontay Wilder battle Tyson Fury 2 on FS1
- Terence Crawford could face Kell Brook next
- Badou Jack now being trained by Johnathon Banks
- Demetrius Andrade to defend against Liam Williams next