Keith Thurman vs. Jan Zaveck possible for March 9th
By Dan Ambrose: A fight between unbeaten junior middleweight contender Keith Thurman (19-0, 18 KO’s) and former IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck (32-2, 18 KO’s) is possible for March 9th on the undercard of the Bernard Hopkins vs. Tavoris Cloud card at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York, USA.
According to Dan Rafael of ESPN, a deal between the 24-year-old Thurman and the 36-year-old Zaveck has been agreed on but contracts haven’t been signed. If this fight can be put together it would be a nice one for Thurman, #2 WBO, #9 IBF, and also a pretty good one for Zaveck if he were to win it.
I think it would be a really risky fight for the 5’7 ½” Zaveck because he doesn’t have the same size as the 5’11” Thurman. However, if Zaveck agrees to the fight then there must be something he sees in Thurman’s game that makes him think that he can win this one.
Thurman looked really good in his last fight in stopping Carlos Quintana in the 4th round last November. Thurman simply had too much power for Quintana, and he was able to bludgeon him to the canvas after cornering him in the 4th.
Zaveck held the International Boxing Federation 147 pound title from 2009 to 2011 when he was stopped in the 5th round by Andre Berto in September of that year. It wasn’t that Zaveck was fighting that badly because he was coming on in the 4th and 5th rounds. However, his right eye closed up him from Berto’s early good work and the fight was halted due to the swelling of the eye.
Zaveck has since won his last fight against Bethuel Ushona by a 12 round unanimous decision last year in March. However, Zaveck hasn’t fought since and if he fights Thurman this March, it’ll be one years since Zaveck fought. At his age, he needs to be fighting as often as he can to make the most out of what little time he last left in his career.
Thurman will likely steam roll Zaveck if this fight is made. Thurman way too much size and power for a small fighter like Zaveck to stay in there with him for every long.
More Boxing News:
- Vergil Ortiz Jr wants Keith Thurman or Danny Garcia
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Keith Thurman: I DESERVE a rematch with Manny Pacquiao
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- VIDEO: Bantamweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 2
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Jessie Magdaleno on Oct.17th/24th for vacant WBO 126lb title
- Naoya Inoue vs. Jason Moloney in the works for ESPN/ESPN+
- Tyson Fury won’t be fighting Dillian Whyte in 2021 says Warren