Heavyweight Mike Perez to fight on Price-Thompson undercard
By Scott Gilfoid: Inactive heavyweight prospect Mike Perez (18-0, 12 KO’s) will be fighting on the undercard of the David Price vs. Tony Thompson fight card against an opponent still to be determined on February 23rd at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, UK.
The short 6’0” Perez hasn’t fought in over a year for some reason, as he missed the entire 2012 year by not fighting. His last fight was way back in December 2011 in beating journeyman Friday Ahunanaya by a 10 round decision. Perez has some decent skills and he showed that he can beat good 2nd tier fighters by jumping on them and flurrying.
However, Perez isn’t a big puncher, he’s not overly fast, and his lack of size is going to make it tough for him to get to the next level against the bigger heavyweights. Unfortunately for Perez, he’s too heavy to simply trim down and move to cruiserweight, so he’s stuck at heavyweight. I think he can be a good fringe contender/gate keeper type fighter if he gets busy with his career.
Its’ not looking good right now with him missing the entire 2012 year. If he keeps that up then I don’t see him being even a gate keeper.
Perez can do well against certain type of heavyweights. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were to give David Price and Tyson Fury a run for their money, but against the real quality heavyweights like Kubrat Pulev, the Klitschko brothers, Alexander Povetkin, Magomed Abdusalamov, Denis Boytsov, Chris Arreola, Bermane Stiverne and Deontay Wilder, Perez would be over his head and would likely get knocked out.
He’s someone that does well against the guys that he’s currently being matched against, but that’s pretty much all I can see of him.
Perez, who lives in Ireland, does have a decent fan base and I can see why he was stuck on the Price vs. Thompson undercard because he’ll bring some fans and do well if they put him in with the right kind of fighter for him to excel against.
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Andy Ruiz Jr. – NO days off from training
- Naoya Inoue vs. John Riel Casimero in September in Las Vegas
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev marketed to the wealthy?
- Amir Khan ready to wait until crowds come back
- Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder to take place in November or December