Pacquiao may not be the same fighter when he returns to the ring
By Allan Fox: Manny Pacquiao has chosen to continue his career after a terrible 6th round knockout defeat against Juan Manuel Marquez last Saturday night that left Pacquiao unconscious on the canvas for a number of minutes. Pacquiao said he’ll continue fighting, and his promoter Bob Arum recently said he won’t bother scheduling Pacquiao for any tune-up bouts to see if he can still take a punch.
Arum only wants to have Pacquiao’s brain checked out, and then let him rest up until June or as late as September before having fight Marquez again if that’s what he wants to do.
When Pacquiao does finally return to the ring his boxing fans might be sadly disappointed if he’s not the same fighter he once was before the knockout. The problem with a knockout like the type that Pacquiao suffered is that there’s a chance of both physical and mental damage from that kind of a KO.
Psychologically, he might not be the same because it could take some of the killer instinct away from him because he probably won’t want to get hit hard again by Marquez and knocked cold for a second time. We saw how Marquez was able to hurt Pacquiao whenever he landed cleanly in the fight whether it be to the body or the head. Pacquiao is going to be aware of that he might not fight the way he needs to in order to beat someone like Marquez.
The more important question is can Pacquiao still take a heavy shot to the head without falling face down on the canvas again. That’s something we’ll find out as well. Bernard Hopkins says a lot of fighters lose it after they get knocked out the way Pacquiao did, and he’s obviously been around the sport long enough to know what happens to fighters after they’ve suffered a bad knockout like Pacquiao
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Jermell Charlo and Billy Joe Saunders trade trash talk
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney must wait for Tank Davis clash says Mayweather Promoter
- Vasily Lomachenko reducing his purse to get Teofimo Lopez fight done
- Leo Santa Cruz can’t afford to take shots from Gervonta Davis
- Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 cancelled if it’s pushed back to February 2021