Will Kessler vacate WBA title rather than face Andre Ward again?
By Scott Gilfoid: By now I’m sure Mikkel Kessler (45-2, 34 KO’s) has learned what’s at stake should he beat Brian Magee (36-4-1, 25 KO’s) next month on December 8th for the vacant WBA World super middleweight crown at the BOXEN, in Herning, Denmark. The World Boxing Association is saying that the winner of the Kessler-Magee fight has six months to make a fight with WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward, according to fightnews.com.
This means that Kessler, should he beat Magee, is going to be in a position to where he’ll either have to take the fight with Ward – and risk getting scalped a second time – or slink away by vacating the title. Ward totally ripped Kessler to bits in their fight in 2009, beating Kessler about any way you can think in a totally dominating performance in Oakland, California.
That was a major spanking if you ask me. And Kessler hasn’t gotten better since then, and is now a rusty 33 compared to the 28-year-old Ward. There could be only one outcome if Ward and Kessler fight again, and that’ with Kessler getting royally whipped. It doesn’t matter if Kessler’s promoter is able to win the purse bid and get the fight in Denmark, Kessler will still lose badly to Ward.
My guess it the fight won’t happen. If Kessler beats Magee next month – and that’s a big IF – then Kessler will quietly vacate the WBA title rather than face Ward for a second helping of whoop a**. We’ll see Kessler probably fight someone else that few boxing fans have ever heard of. I hope I’m wrong but that’s kind of how I see it.
Kessler just got whipped too bad by Ward in 2009. It was one of those beatings where you could project a never-ending future of additional backside spankings should Kessler fight Ward again and again. Ward showed in that fight that his boxing skills and talent are on another level from Kessler. The only way I could see Kessler beating Ward is if Ward got old in the future, but I can’t even see that happening because Kessler is five years older than Ward and he won’t around long enough to see Ward get old.
More Boxing News:
- ESPN Re-Signs Andre Ward to New Multi-Year Deal
- Andre Ward takes a shot at Eddie Hearn
- Andre Ward To Advise Gabriel Flores Jr
- Andre Ward wants Terence Crawford to stay busy
- Andre Ward says Tyson Fury made MISTAKE announcing Joshua fight, giving Wilder motivation
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye