Marquez flattens sparring partner; Arum hearing good things
By Chris Williams: Juan Manuel Marquez has reportedly flattened one of his sparring partners Rocky Santillo in showing off his new power in getting ready for his December 8th fight against Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas, Nevada. According to Philboxing.com, Marquez countered Santillo with a scorching right hand that caught him as he was attempting to fight in Pacquiao-esque imitation.
Marquez has been pretty much training for months already and his strength and conditioning coach Angel Hernandez is helping Marquez pack on more power and size to defeat Pacquiao. Marquez’s needs power and size to beat the Filipino, because his boxing skills haven’t been enough to impress the judges in their three previous fights.
It looks like the judges are more impressed with straight brawling than seeing Marquez show off his dazzling counter punching ability. Marquez will have to lead the way by taking the fight to Pacquiao and looking rip him apart rather than just countering his every missed/blocked punch with shots to the head.
Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank told the Manila Bulletin “I have been told Marquez is doing very, very well.”
Arum better start worrying because his golden goose Pacquiao may get plucked clean by Marquez in this fight, and that would be the second straight loss for Pacquiao. He lost his last fight to Tim Bradley, and I know he’s taking comfort that a lot of boxing fans thought he deserved to win that fight. But Pacquiao probably can’t lose another fight without seeing some a lot of fans in doing so.
Arum might have problems trying to justify asking boxing fans to pay $49.95 to see Pacquiao fight if he’s losing over and over again. Who wants to pay that kind of cash to see a guy that’s getting beaten 24/7? If boxing fans want to see that kind of thing they can tune into almost any regular fight card on one of the cable networks for free and watch some poor guy get beaten without having to pay big cash.
More Boxing News:
- Mayweather: McGregor won’t make the same money fighting Pacquiao as he did with me
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Joshua knows Usyk is a real threat to him says Oleksandr’s co-promoter
- Jaime Munguia vs. Tureano Johnson – preview & prediction for Oct.30
- ESPN ranks Terence Crawford #1 pound-for-pound, above Errol Spence
- Eddie Hearn blew chance to ink Tyson Fury in 2017
- Gary Russell Jr wants Miguel Berchelt at 130, asks WBC to order fight